Newbie with Ridgid Table Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbie with Ridgid Table Saw

Well, I'm not sure if it's in poor form to reply to my own reply, but I'll do it anyway. Those of you who suggested that the problem was the blade were absolutely correct. I replaced the garbage Ridgid blade with a brand new Freud blade, one of the glue-line rip versions, and obtained an absolutely BEAUTIFUL smooth cut. I'm delighted with its performance.

Now if only I didn't have the old arbor... but I'll probably never have an issue with it. And if I do, I'll just have a new one machined, maybe a little longer too.

Thanks to all who offered their advice. And thanks - sorta - to CheekyMonkeyWrench for pointing out the sale on Amazon. You saved me 25 bucks. On the other hand, you cost me $100 too, but I got some nice blades out of it...

Comment

"I'll just have a new one machined,"

Don't do that, contact RIDGID and request a replacement arbor. They should be available. They sent them out to those who asked for them a couple years ago when the arbor issues first surfaced.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Are you sure your saw has one of the bad arbors? The reason I ask is that the arbor problem was corrected in early 2005 and all saws made after May of that year had the corrected arbors. If you bought your saw last year, 2006, you more than likely don't have one of the bad arbors.
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Wow, I meant that as a sort of off-the-cuff comment, but it's nice to get some replies. Yeah, I read a bit about the arbor problem on here and looked at the helpful comparison picture someone posted (sorry, I have forgotten who it was). It is definitely the old arbor. I can sit a blade in that notch with a little room to slide it either way. At one point, before I started reading here, I thought that might have been my original problem with the rough cutting, but it wasn't, since there's still room up against the arbor. Oh yeah, and when I originally bought the saw, there was a LOT of dust on all the boxes, so it was probably lying around for some time at the Hoe Depot.

I had read that the Ridgid support folks wouldn't send them out anymore, and I don't relish removing this saw from my basement. If they'll send me a replacement, that would be great, otherwise I figured it wouldn't be too bad to mill a longer bolt - this way I could use the dial-a-dado blade I've heard so much good about. I'll just put it somewhere on that list of "things-to-do..."

Jim

Comment

I can't find any now, but there were a few posts several months ago stating that Ridgid will no longer send a replacement arbor to the owner and now require taking the complete saw to a service center. You may be able to order one, if you really wanted to. But that would be a little like adding insult to injury for me....

Glad you got your blade issue resolved at least.
            Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

It doesn't seem right that you should have to pay to correct the problem if you don't take it to a service center. But my suspiscion is this has to do with a liability issue for RIDGID or something along those lines. If you mess up in replacing the arbor they supplied to you are they on the hook in any way if you or someone else gets hurt is the replacement was not performed properly? I don't know just trying to see the reasoning behind not offering the arbor any longer, and that's all I can come up with.

WWS; You are saying you remember reading that they will replace the arbor (at no charge?) if you take your saw to a service center? Do you have to take the entire saw or can you just remove the trunion assembly from the saw and take that which will be much easier to transport? I was lucky I guess in that I got an arbor mailed to me when the issue first arose, I am asking to clarify for others what the situation is now.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Bob, I still am not able to find either thread (I seem to recall at least 2). But I do seem to recall that there was quite the stink about having to bring in the entire saw minus the legs. I will continue to see if I can find the thread as it is certainly possible I am remembering wrong, but I don't think so.

Your reasoning on why they wouldn't just send a new one to the owner is about as close as I could get as well. I suspect it is more because the replacement is a bit more complex and they are concerned about additional damage or customers dissatisfaction with the process and possibly more warranty work that would then be attempted? Beats me. To me the other part of the downside of taking to a service center is the waiting time.

EDIT:
                Well I found a couple of links. I had thought I remembered there being one with a paste of an email someone got back from Ridgid which would have been a bit more "firm" than what what is in some of these threads, but I am tired of looking for now. If it was my saw, I would still call to verify or confirm. You may still get lucky, find out something different or talk you way through.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=TS3650+arbor

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=TS3650+arbor
                Last edited by wwsmith; 02-11-2007, 12:14 PM. Reason: Found some links
                Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Working...
                X