X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with Ridgid Table Saw

Hi, I have the Ridgid TS3650, which I bought some time ago last year, but never got set up quite right. So far I've only used it for rough cuts because that's all it's been good for! When I cut, the edge is very rough and has these rounded marks all over it. In addition it makes a strange amount of high-pitched noise when cutting - that is, it's not a constant sound.

I've gone back and adjusted everything to make sure it's all square; it is now. I have one of those benchdog featherboards to hold the workpiece up to the fence. I press down with a push block. The blade is the original 40 tooth one which came with the saw and is sharp and appears to not have bent teeth or any skew.

Note that I'm a complete woodworking newbie. I assess a >50% chance that this is all user error. I have noticed that when I am able to push the workpiece through at a more constant rate, i.e. the beginning and end, it seems to give a better edge. But I have to move my hands in the meanwhile!

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you all can offer. I searched through the forums and didn't see any advice for this type of problem, so maybe it IS me. I've got a ton of projects I would like to do, but if this is normal, I don't think I have enough patience for 'em... help, please!

Re: Newbie with Ridgid Table Saw

jimmyswimmy, the blade on the saw is crappy, don't throw it away save it when you need to cut something not important. Go and buy a decent blade. Pretty much most saws come with a cheap blade and they always leave saw marks, so will gummed up and dull blades. There are threads in this forum on blades so do a little reading and decide from that point. I was at home depot last week and picked up the Ridgid Titanium coating 3, 60 teeth, I think I paid $49.99. Seems to be doing just fine so far.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I agree with garager about getting a new blade....keep the stock blade for junk wood. Get as good a blade as you're willing to cough up for....likely $35- $100.

A high quality 40T-50T general purpose or combo blade will do a great job of most cuts on a wide variety of materials. For your saw, most manufacturers will suggest a 3/32" thin kerf blade (0.98"). I'd stick with something like a Forrest WWII, Ridge Carbide TS2000, Freud P410, LU88R010, LU86R010, LU83R010, Infinity Combo Max, or possibly a Tenryu RS25540 (from Holbren.com).

Get yourself a zero clearance insert too, and attach a straight board to your miter gauge and put some self stick sandpaper on the face.

Your library may very well have some good TS and wwing books.

Comment

Awwwwwwwwwwwww.....!!!!

So it's just the blade? I could have bought one of those MONTHS ago, but I thought it was something out of alignment, and I've been too lazy to get it right until today. I need to learn to ask questions FIRST. Anyway, thanks for the tips, I'm going out for a new blade tomorrow and then I'll watch that video about making a ZCI.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU83R010...6?ie=UTF8&s=hi

this is a great blade for $45. choose amazon as the seller, if you order a blade from amazon.com, as the other sellers charge for shipping.

btw, the freud industrial are much nicer than the freud diablos sold at HD.

Comment

Sold, based on the two recommendations. Unfortunately the LU83 doesn't ship until nearly March! Oh well, what's another month? Thanks for all the help, hopefully if I post again on this thread it will be about how great my saw is cutting now.

Comment

You could always run down to the local HD and pick up a Ridge Carbide or one of the other Frued's. Never hurts to have a selection of blades, IMO. I got a Ridge Carbide thin-kerf and have been pretty happy with it. I use it for hard maple, oak, and walnut. It cuts fine, very little burning, and seems to last a good while.

I too seem to find myself in that situation where in mid-cut I have to move my hands and will pause on pushing the stock through the saw. I think I might have to find myself a class offered somewhere nearby to learn how to properly use the saw!!

As far as alignment goes...that's something that dogged me for a while. I finally managed to get things lined up pretty well. I had a situation where the splitter was tilted away from the fence vertically. In other words, the top of the splitter was farther from the fence than the bottom by maybe .015". I got a machinists square, and with much fnaggeling of square place to measure vertical and a framer's t-square to line up horizontal, I used some thin washers and got everything into plumb. That was the hardest part of setting it up. The good news is, once set, it STAYS set! Removing the splitter for doing non-through cuts is simple, and when I put it back on it is fine.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sandy, if your local HD store sells the Ridge Carbide line of saw blades then just ignore this post.

Just to set the record straight though, Ridge Carbide saw blades are not the same as the RIDGID line of saw blades. They are two separate and distinct companies. Whereas the RIDGID line of saw blades is, IMO, at best middle of the road quality wise the Ridge Carbide line of saw blades ranks right near the top when it comes to quality. Don't expect a RIDGID blade to perform or, more importantly, have a life expectancy any where near what you could expect from a Ridge Carbide blade.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

uhmmmmmmm.....you're right BD. Now that I'm here in the shop, they are indeed RIDGID carbide. Forgive me for posting first and thinking second....one of my more problematic problems!

Still, the RIDGID blade is decent. I use it for most stuff. Actually...everything. I don't have anything better yet.
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Wondering about the location of your featherboard. Is it far enough in front of the blade that it is not causing the workpiece to pinch the blade? The circular marks you speak of sound like burn marks from the blade. This would tell me to look at fence alignment (if you are ripping), splitter alignment, and also maybe your feed method.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                      ......posting first and thinking second....one of my more problematic problems!
                      I happen to be a Charter Member of that club myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        Wondering about the location of your featherboard. Is it far enough in front of the blade that it is not causing the workpiece to pinch the blade?
                        Hi Bob,

I'm pretty sure the featherboard is not pinching the blade, first off, it doesn't look like it's getting pinched. I have it at least 2" ahead of the front of the blade. And it's not super tight anymore, I tried loosening it to see if that makes a difference, still no good. I have a copy of 'The Table Saw Book' on order in the hopes that I'll learn something useful.

In the meanwhile, I canceled my order for the LU83 blade because it'll take a month. There has to be a store around here that has one. I was considering the Woodworker II but got stuck in one of my "which one" loops.

The fence is lined up pretty well, though I should try and de-align it a little to make sure it opens up on the outfeed, I can always put it back. The splitter is aligned, though I might take it off to verify (safety be damned, it's attached to the blade guard, as you well know). As I indicated, even I suspect my feed method, but i won't mind having a new blade if that turns out to be the problem.

The edge doesn't look burned, really, it's just very rough and has those swirly kerf marks. But I'm quite new at this, I could be mistaken.

EDIT: to improve confusion
                        Last edited by jimmyswimmy; 02-05-2007, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyswimmy View Post
                          The edge doesn't look burned, really, it's just very rough and has those swirly kerf marks. But I'm quite new at this, I could be mistaken.
                          That's a perfect description of the cut quality that the blade that came with my TS produced.

If you're interested in a top notch blade, I see you mentioned the Woodworker II, take a look at the Ridge Carbide TS2000 blades. They offer it in both a regular kerf and thin kerf. You can get an additional 10% off from that particular vendor if you type "woodnet10" in the coupon box. I won't go into a commercial about their service level but you won't be disappointed.

Comment

jimmy, talk about great timing....see the posts in the general woodworking discussion in reference to the sale on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by CheekyMonkeyWrench View Post
                              jimmy, talk about great timing....see the posts in the general woodworking discussion in reference to the sale on Amazon.
                              Oh, I saw it alright. The WWII is coming whenever they get 'em back in stock, and I got one of the Freuds which will arrive on Friday. I have a love-hate relationship with those kinds of sales - they cost me a lot of money!

Comment

Working...
                              X