router combo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• router combo

Thinking of buying the Ridgid router combo. 2 1/4 hp plunge and fixed base. Any thoughts or comments on it? What's good or bad about it?

DAN

Re: router combo

RIDGID router review.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.

DAN

Comment

I know I'm opening pandora's box by telling you about another router combo, but I'm going to nonetheless.

Looking about a year ago at several combos, I found the two best rated (and affordable) were the Porter Cable (1590? can't remember) and Dewalt. Both were around $200 for the 2 1/4 HP combo.

I opted for the Dewalt combo with two handles (you can get 3 with th D handle). After getting if off the internet, I second guessed my decision and went to HD and Lowes to look at the two again. The PC was recalled!

Glad I went with the Dewalt and it has been great both in the router table and hand held. I especially like the ease of height adjustment when mounted under the router table. It's not a hassle at all, even though I don't have a router lift.

Again, sorry to open this up to discussion, but I researched this extensively last year and am very happy with the Dewalt for the $$.
        2ยข
        Stay well and play well.
        Skip

Comment

I picked this combo up during the holidays when it was on sale. I think my final price, with a discount card was $153. I haven't had an opportunity to do much more than make a few test runs, just to make sure everything was in order.

After reading the review and comments that Badger Dave provided the link to, I would pretty much agree with the other opinions. I will say that the motor is quieter than my old Craftsman router or the two year old Ryobi. The lights are a great feature, as is the ability to adjust the height from above the table, if so mounted. A T-handle is provided for that purpose. Also included is a centering cone and pin, to aid in mounting the subbases. In addition, both 1/2- and 1/4-inch collets are included. (Note that the 1/4-inch collet is not an adapter, but a completely separate collet.)

The clear acrylic subbases are interchangeable between the two magnesium bases. The one with the smaller center hole is compatible with Porter-Cable type guide bushings. One of the early complaints was that no edge guide was avialable. However, a quick check at Home Depot revealed that the Porter-Cable edge guide they carry is a perfect fit for the R2900.

Regarding the corrosion concerns with magnesium, I can't comment beyond saying that the two bases are nicely finished and appear to be either painted or somehow coated. The motor sleeve appears to be bare however. Main thing would be to keep them clean and dry, as moisture seems to be a contributing factor to corrosion.

Here are a couple of other reviews on the Ridgid router:

http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/RidgidR2930RouterKit/RidgidR2930RouterKitReview.html

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rgdr2900rvu.html

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I bought the combo last year around Oct. Immediatly mounted fixed base to a table which after a few problems has worked great. have already built a couple sets of cabinets with it. having both bases has proven helpful too. I have an old 7/8 hp PC to carry to a job site but have take the R with me recently for the 1/2 bit capability. As I have said before, I love my rigid. I have had a DW before and while half of my tool box is yellow, that router felt twice as heavy as the Rigid. Don't be afraid of magnesium, Navy jets are full of it and salt water is more corrosive then anything you will get into.

Comment

Working...
            X