X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ridgid Planer Problem

I just bought a new Ridgid 13” planer. It was rated highly and I figured that would justify the extra cost over a cheap Delta, which my friend has and is a very good planer. Anyway, I got it out of the box and the scale indicator was broken off. No biggie deal.

However, I’m disappointed with the performance, mainly due to the feed. I’m not sure what the problem is but boards are not getting through the planer without stopping or needing an extra push. The problem happens whether I’m taking off 1/16 or 1/8 or more.

I checked the feed rollers and they’re cover with some dust and I’m wondering if that’s causing the slipping. If it is, that’s a major design flaw and I’ll be returning it.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Re: New Ridgid Planer Problem

When I'm planing, I take off a max of 1/16" per pass. Usually it's 1/32" per pass. It also depends on the type of wood and the grain direction. You can clean the rollers with a variety of things; Naptha would be my suggestion.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I would return it and get a replacement. If the scale indicator was broken, it could be an indication that it was mishandled, or it could have been a previous return, especially if it has some "dust" on the rollers.

I have had mine for 3 years now and it's been excellent for me.

Michael

Comment

Well, I usually take 1/16 because I'm usually rough planing. I tried a couple pass with 1/8 to see if more depth increased pressure on the feeders and worked better, but no luck.

But I was using pine boards planning with the grain, so it should have been an easy task. It's not like I was planing black walnut or ironwood!

I think that it's possible that the grease they spray on the machine before they pack it got on the feeders and is causing the slip, at least I hope that's the problem!

Comment

Cleaning the rollers will help. Also wax the platen. You should never try to remove more than 1/8 at a time. Also the wider the board the less you should take in one pass. If you are doing wide boards and trying to take a 1/16 or more try taking only 1/32 at a time.
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Return the planer for a new one.
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

"Any ideas? Suggestions? "

Not sure from your profile but are you located in Buffalo, NY?

It's pretty cold up there right now right? Unless your shop is heater those feed rollers are probably hard as a rock, and likely to slip more than they normally would. This would be a problem with most planers of this general design using similar feed roller construction, not just the RIDGID model.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Yeah, I am located in Buffalo and yeah, it's colder than Antartica here today! Don't laugh, it was in the 50s and 60s in December and early January. Anyway, enough defending this tundra.

My shop is in my basement, and although chilly, not cold enought to be an issue.

Actually, the problem was happening when I was running 1.5 inch by 3/4 pine stock for window extension jams. Nothing over taxing, 1/18 heavy to no more than 1/8 (obviously!). Ridgid said, as someone else here did, to clean the rollers, he suggested denatured alcohol.

I think the problem is that there is greasy overspray on the rollers. The manual/directions stated to wipe down the exterior of the machine to get this off, but it said nothing about the rollers. But after thinking about it and realizing that the dust wouldn;t come off easily like it should, that it mist be greasy.

I'm, hitting the Depot on the way home to get some denatured alcohol to see if I can solve it.

Comment

I'm not positive but I think pine wood is fairly sappy. That could leave a smudge on the roller and collect dust and even chips that could cause problems. I bought mine, Ridgid planer, last summer and haven't had any problems yet. I do need to clean mine tho.
                  If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I have had the same problem with my Ridgid planer. I just took mine back and got a new one. I have yet to try it out. I'm pretty sure that the chips/dust that accumulated on the rollers prevented them from grabbing the wood. If I have the problem with the new one I will try the alcohol suggestion. Let me know how it works for you.

Comment

I've had mine for about 3 years. I've put pine and other sappy and pitch laden wood through it and it still works fine. I've never cleaned the rollers. Planers are pretty crude machines, I dont see how they could malfunction from some dust or pitch.
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I've had the same problem also.

Comment

Working...
                        X