X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridgid vacuum

i,m new to the forum and have already found some helpful stuff.
    however i,m interested in a ridgid vac which i noticed in a recent tool test in one of the wood working mags. the thing had a tool plugged into it and activated when the tool was switched
    does any one own one of these and if so where did you get it
    it does not appear on their web site nor can the home depot find it

Re: ridgid vacuum

Are you shure you saw it right? I have double plugs on some of my tools for vacums(router,sander,table saw,etc) fairly simple to wire and works well. Some vacums are set to activate then stay on for a few extra seconds to clear hose, fein comes to mind.

Comment

You can also have an electrical outlet wired to turn on when another outlet starts drawing power. I saw an article about wiring a shop and it had some pictures. I thought that would be cool to have. I use the 2-in-1 Ridgid vac that converts into a leaf blower when needed. Works great for both.
      If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Sears used to sell what you are talking about. I have one and it's finally dying and so did one other poster here. When it worked, it was super. I had a small Genie shop vac going to my stationary sander and when I turned on the sander, it automatically fired up the vac. Now it just pops the breaker! LOL time to get another, unless there is another better way to do it.

Mark
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

I believe you are looking for one of these- Rigid TV3000 Tool Vac.
          I've been sanding boats with one for almost ten years. Unlike the propac it has a power actuator receptacle(The vac comes on with the sander and off when you turn the sander off.) It's light weight and powerful for its size. I've only used it for sanding so I can't speak to other uses.
          It seemed pricey at the time, but no one else had anything comparable and its proven extremely reliable. I don't know why Rigid discontinued it.
          Try e-bay or search for Rigid TV3000 Tool Vac.
          More info and other options to consider here: http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...T_ShopVacs.pdf

Best Regards, Barry
          Last edited by swampyankee; 02-06-2007, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by amcnerl View Post
            I use the 2-in-1 Ridgid vac that converts into a leaf blower when needed. Works great for both.
            I have the same and my only complaint is that there's no way to properly attach a bag to it.

Josh? Go prod those engineers!

Comment

thanks to all for the prompt reply.
              tried searching for the tv3000-no luck probably discontinued
              i,ve seen the one made by fein and i believe the festool vac also
              functions the same way but they,re pretty pricey
              i have a pretty big dust collector but was hopeful of finding something for
              a work station dedicated to sanding and pocket hole joinery
              i'll probably just try and figure out the wiring and use a regular small vac
              of some kind
              thanks again for all the help
              paul

Comment

Wild Weasel,

I tried using a bag in mine and it clung to the filter and wouldn't suck much. The air comes in the hose then out the blower port thru the filter. I'm not sure if other vacs are designed this way. It is a bit of a hassle emptying all the dust without making a mess.

Comment

You can't just put a plastic bag in it or, as you experienced, it'll just get sucked up by the motor. You need a filter bag made for shop vacs that will attach to the opening where the hose attaches. The air flows through the bag while the stuff you're sucking up stays in it. The problem is that this vac doesn't have the facility there to attach the bag.

Comment

Some models of Ridgid wet/dry vacs do take paper filter bags, but not too many. It should pay off to check other brands too if anyone is thinking about buying a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by pchafin View Post
                      the thing had a tool plugged into it and activated when the tool was switched
                      I found a plug in a Wood Craft catalog, that turns on a vac when you turn on a power tool plugged in. I'll be glad to post the info if anyone would like it.

Comment

I bought that same thing at Sears last fall, it works great. It's a Craftsman 24031 Current Tap, and here's a link off google:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00924031000

Has one plug for the tool and two for accessories, though I don't quite understand that - seems like if you wanted a light, you'd have it on BEFORE you start cutting. Anyway it keeps the vac on for about 5 seconds after the power tool is turned off (table saw in my case). It works well and it's cheap. Only good for 15A though, so I won't be surprised if mine blows while I'm cutting a thick, hard piece of wood.

Comment

Working...
                        X