Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Templates

Hi,

I have just got some new plans. To get them to full size I need to enlarge them X5. Other than just following the grides and free hand drawing the template to the wood, other there any other options people use to enlarge the paper templates.

Thanks,
    Stone

Re: Templates

I work w/ architects all the time, so when I need a blue print or a picture enlarged all I need to do is ask them. Of course I deal w/ them a lot so its free (lucky), and I'm sure if you can find one they would not charge much. They most definitely have the equipment.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

You can always take it to a copy center. They have large-format copiers that can enlarge to just about any scale. It'll cost ya though....
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

If you do plan to take it to a copy center give them a call first. Some of the smaller ones can't run anything larger than 11 x 17. What you want is to ask if they have a "Large Format" or a blue print copier. Most Kinkos locations should have them.

If your plans are black & white lines like a drawing, you might find someone with a flatbed scanner, have them scan them in pretty high resolution and then use a photo editor to enlarge them. If they have a large format printer (Ink jet or laser) and paper, then they can print them out for you. If this is something you'll use alot, get several prints of it while you're there.
        Last edited by Woussko; 02-07-2007, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Not having any idea what you have to work with, it's tough to make a suggestion. Is your document digital or hardcopy?

Depending on the project or component, I usually just follow the plan or blueprint and re-lay everything out on the wood. Obviously this is much easier if dealing with just linear and angular dimensions. For something like curves, where a template is often preferred, I'd probably transfer it to my computer via the scanner, including a known dimension like adding a scale to the plate when I scanned the blueprint.

Then I'd import it into my program and scale it up from there. Most graphic programs have the capabity of printing out a full-size plan, by dividing it up into individual pages on your printer. Then you can tape or splice those individual sheets together to get the full-sized pattern or template. If you have the capability to go from your digital file to a large plotter, then all the better. But be aware that going to commercial printer or quick-print facility can be expensive ("expensive" being relative to the size of your wallet). In addition, I've found many "fast-print" places simply don't understand your need and you end up getting it less than full-size. So make it clear what you need and why and accuracy is what you're paying for!. In more than 40 years as an illustrator, I've found that competancy is not always guaranteed by someone being in the repro business!

A simple scanner can be a tremendous tool when doing a layout or trying to design a fixture, jig, template, or whatever. With even an inexpensive flat-bed scanner (like my little Visioneer 4400), you can place a real object or scaled down blueprint or sketch on the glass and scan it. I then bring it into my CorelDraw program, do a trace and then work from there. It's much easier than trying to measure and scale the object and/or redraw it in your program. I've even reproduced trim items by placing the original on the scanner and then drawing a pattern that I can later apply to a new piece of wood.

Once in your program, it's a snap to re-scale even to full size and then print out on your inkjet or laser printer.

I hope this helps,

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 02-07-2007, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Hey find out what they want to charge my father has a CAD plotter and if you scan and send me high resolution files I can print them and send them to you for cheep........... just make shure the plans have the sizes on them so they can be scaled to size....
            American by birth. Canadian at heart.

Comment

You can also set a piece clear transparency on the plans, using a fine tip sharpie trace the pattern then use an overhead projector. The further back from a wall the larger the image. Tape a large piece of paper to the wall and draw away.
              If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I take small plans to Staples. I've had them blow a small section of a WW mag page to almost 4 feet long long. This was for a template for a dining chair back leg.
                The cost was around $2
                Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

You could also copy onto 1/4" square graph paper and enlarge by manually transferring onto an 1.25" grid. But with copy centers as cheap as they are, this is only for the hand tool fanatic.
                  Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Your best bet is to go to kinkos and have them enlarged properly. Make sure that there are no indications of the plans being copywrited. My wife used to work for them and most are not going to do copywrited material.

The overhead projector idea was used by me in the 80's to get enlargements. Later we found out that the scale was distorted.

Final option is a pantograpgh. Available at most art stores. If digitization is a problem and you will be hand drawing it, this is your best "do it yourself" bet.

Hope it helped.

For others, Hi there. I'm Phil, this is my third post. Please don't think I'm an idiot until at least the fourth post

Comment

Working...
                    X