Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How would you make this cut?

Hey everyone.

Thanks for all the replies. What this cut is, is a leg for a saw horse I've designed. At first I thought I could market it but it's going to cost to much. As soon as I master "Solid Edge" CAD program I'll post the design or a pic 'cause yet another neighbors brother has a woodworking business and he's going to do the final design.

Anyway, two points. If I don't loose my courage, either tomorrow or Monday I'm going to buy the TS3650 even if it ends up collecting dust.

Second is, and remember I've never really worked wood:

How do you mark 2x4 dimensional lumber that's got it's edges rounded and make a 7 degree cut?

If I were to purchase a dozuki or similar; how do you start the cut? I'm thinking of clamping a 1x along the scribe to help guide the saw. But I'm stuck on the scribe I try to make going off into space because of the edges being rounded. Hope I'm making sense.

And to WoodMeister. I thought of using a dado, making some sort of a jig with the correct angle but I'm going to put all that to bed and just get started because this whole idea has pulled me into wanting to start working with wood.
    You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Comment

The Wood Meister

I just finished posting the above and saw your latest post. That's it exactly.
      I almost broke the bank and bought the sears band saw 'cause it's 20% off thru today (online). But I had to admit to myself that the time involved in making this horse couldn't justify the cost to a third party.

I agree the table saw is going to be my first purchase.

Gotta run now. Thanks for all your work.

Comment

I have a Dozuki and it's VERY flexable. I would never try to do what you need to do with it, it's just not strong enough. Even with a bigger heavy saw, I don't think I could pull it off even on a good day, with good results anyways.

The way that I did it needed no jig and took just a few minutes. The band saw would be faster and one simple jig would do the trick. But if you have someone to do it for you, it seems like there is not much to worry about now.
        Last edited by The Wood Meister; 02-10-2007, 07:51 PM.
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Yahoo!!

I just converted my credit card rewards points to $200. in homedepot gift card. Be here in 3 days. TS3650 is Mine!

Comment

Oh boy!! Congrats! Just think, once you get going, you'll end up one day with $10,000 in tools that you just "had to have!" LOL

My favorite saying............"but honey, it was on SALE!!!"
            Mark
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

It's an easy cut with a good japanese saw($30 or so) and a little practice. YOu could cut a block on the TS for the angle you want to use as a guide for the handsaw, just clamp the guide to a table or possibly your piece.
              2x4's are soft, you could make the cuts in a minute or less. It is quicker than doing it on a TS with dado set and it will leave a smooth finish.
              This is not hard to do, most people are just intimidated by handtools. Some things are actually easier and quicker with handtools, and it darn near impossible to accidetly cut off a finger with a handtool.
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Japanese hand saw, no doubt, would of been done before it took to read this forum, like rafael said its just faster to do it by hand then to do it w/ machines. One of my favorite tools without a doubt is the Japanese hand saw, and thats why I have 4 of them, very, very sharp.....

I love to use jigs too, find the neat trick, but if I'm in a hurry I will go and do it by hand tools. This is where I go to get my saws...

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com
                Last edited by garager; 02-11-2007, 01:22 PM.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I suggest everyone get a japanese saw and try them out. You dont have to buy the pricey ones. Some of the cheap ones are very good. You will throw out any western handsaws you have once you try a good pull saw. And like I said, with guide blocks it's easy to make straight cuts at any angle you need.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post

My favorite saying............"but honey, it was on SALE!!!"
                    Mark

I always use this line to help customers get the accountants (wifes) ok.... "Just think of all those projects youve wanted me to make you"

I didnt get to try the cut. I ran to the store picked up 10 2x4s and ended up building a wall instead

Comment

Originally posted by Orange Apron View Post

I didnt get to try the cut. I ran to the store picked up 10 2x4s and ended up building a wall instead

s'OK. I'm still trying to make head or tails of your drawing

Comment

Working...
                      X