X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid or Craftsman wet/dry Vac?

Let's put this another way. When I did own and use a Ridgid vac, I always hated their idea of filter. I really like what some other companies have much better. ShopVac Corp. is such an axample. It you look over their web site, they really took filters and bags to the max. Some others do as well. Ridgid wants us to buy their filters all the time I think. Actually I think it's that to do everthing right would make the machines cost more to build so they just makes them good enough so they do sell. Some models by ShopVac are real junk and some are pretty good. What I hope is that their filter division might contract with HD to sell special ones that will fit the Ridgid machines. Maybe Ridgid will improve on filter designs. For now if pantyhose cut up works, then go for it.

Comment

I bought a ridgid vac a couple of week ago. Had to clean the filter too often
      and don't believeit when they say you can rinse the filter and run the vac to dry it. As has been said already let it dry over night. I purchase some ridgid 14 gal bags and haven't had to clean the filter since. I am replacing a shop-vac that i had for about 10 years. Am very happy with the ridgid other than the filter. Have used with table saw, planer and miter saw and it is performing great.

Comment

I've got a Ridgid WD1660 and a friend has a Craftsman that uses exactly the same fan head. If the two you're looking at come from the same factory, I'd buy the best deal and/or best warranty.

Comment

Bags and filters

Check with Sears and especially in their tool catalog. They have a far better selection that Home Depot. Do your homework to make sure the Crapsman vac they say it fits is the same machine as your Ridgid model. I did see at one time at Lowes a special filter made to fit most Ridgid vacs that was made by the company that makes them for ShopVac and they looked to be much better than the normal Ridgid filter which in my opinion is a joke. Look at the regular ShopVac brand filters sometime. Their blue one really does clean up nice if you wash it as per instructions and then let it dry before putting it back on your machine. I use 2 of them, but then I own a pretty nice ShopVac brand. I have another really wild vac but that's for another thread. Please see my post with links. I really think the special cloth bag that fits over the filter might work for many of you. I use it and love it. It can be washed in a clothes washer on gentle with warm water. I find just a little TIDE works well. Do not add too much detergent or things don't rinse well.

Comment

This thing with the filters is one reason that the next vac I buy (though it may be years) is going to be either the Porter-Cable or the Bosch. They've really got the accessories and bags and filters covered. Especially the Bosch with the anti-static hoses - in full size and power-tool size. And it is so much quieter than my Ridgid vac or my Craftsman.
            Phil
            Tools Rule

Comment

Phil,

Take a good look at the Milwaukee line too. Their good models are made by Mastercraft industries for them. Their lessor models are ShopVac. The good ones are very nice long lasting machines. Start with the 8911 and work up. They don't come cheap, but once you put one to work you'll be glad you invested in quality. This is not to put down the Bosch or Porter-Cable as the are nice too.

Comment

Working...
              X