Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TS3650 should/must haves?

Originally posted by Hooligan View Post
    I'm feeling like I maybe shouldn't have bought the Freud 60 tooth. Wondering about George's recommendation of the PC or my original pick the LU83R010.
    You need more than one.
    - djb
    sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Well, still no HD gift cards in the mail. Hopefully tomorrow and I can pick up the saw on Saturday.

But if anyone is still following this thread, I'm feeling like I maybe shouldn't have bought the Freud 60 tooth. Wondering about George's recommendation of the PC or my original pick the LU83R010. Good thing about Amazzon is no questions asked to return an item.

Thinking about blades, do you need a ZCI for each one? Doesn't seem like thin kerf from one mfg. is the same as anothers.

Also, about gauges and fences, just started reading Tolpin's "Table Saw Magic" and am feeling like I'd better come up with some sort of dust collection before I spend my kids inheritance on Incra, etc.
      Hooligan, I'm still following. I know how you feel about the gift certificates not coming soon enough. I bought my TS3650 a few weeks ago. I waited a while for a HD 10% coupon to show up but finally I had enough. I already had a coupon for $20 off a $200 purchase so I went ahead and used that. Glad I did b/c the 10% off coupon still hasn't surfaced. Let us know when you actually get it. I'm looking at purchasing a new blade myself but I don't know which one I will get. I would ask you how you like the one you purchased but just looking at it sitting in the package won't do a lot of good I suppose.

----JMD

Comment

You need more than one.
        ehh...thinkin' I'm gonna go with George's suggestion and try the PC. HD's got em at $30.

I know how you feel
        That's why I attached the 'cry baby'
        You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Comment

Thinking about blades, do you need a ZCI for each one? Doesn't seem like thin kerf from one mfg. is the same as anothers.
          Obviously you don't need a ZCI for each one of your blades but it's a good idea to have one for each. It's also a good idea to have a separate ZCI for your most popular dado sizes and angle cuts. Most of my ZCI's are homemade. I always have a few extra blank ones so I can make a new one if a cut comes up that I don't already have one for.
          ================================================== ====
          All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

The gifts cards finally arrived. Sort of anti-climatic. UPS couldn't get up here because of the snow. Hopefully my neighbor will be available tomorrow to help me unload. In any event I'll post a pic.

Just to say I've looked at just about every saw I could, both online and in the big box stores. Haven't actually seen the 3650 'cause HD doesn't have them on display, only in the box. Was real interested in the Hitachi c10fl because after reading all the hoops I'm going to have to jump thru to try and manage dust control with the 3650, the Hitachi was on my short list. But looking at it at Lowes, the main thing that turned me off was the stamped steel extension tables; otherwise I would might bought it. But it really does seem the 3650 is the best in its class.

BadgerDave:

I've looked at PapaDan's instructions on how to make ZCI's and I'll give it a shot with my jig saw and 3/8 drill and some sandpaper. I'm still not clear on how to make them the correct thickness. But Ill have a better idea once I have the stock plate in my hand.

It's supposed to snow again on Monday

//edit

the pic is of the snow we got the first week of January. It's not quite that bad now.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Hooligan; 02-17-2007, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Was real interested in the Hitachi c10fl because after reading all the hoops I'm going to have to jump thru to try and manage dust control with the 3650, the Hitachi was on my short list.

I have the 3650 and use a shop vac for dust control. It works just fine. There is a small amount that ends up on top of the saw but I think that happens with most.
              If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Originally posted by amcnerl View Post
                I have the 3650 and use a shop vac for dust control. It works just fine. There is a small amount that ends up on top of the saw but I think that happens with most.
                Thanks amcnerl

That's what is was hoping to hear. I'm going to button up the sheetmetal after I get it assembled and try a shop vac.

Comment

Re: MLCS ZCI's

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  Hooligan,

As for the ZCI, you might want to check out MLCS. They charge about the same as the one you provided a link for but IIRC you don't have to pay freight from them. I could be wrong about that .
                  Just received the insert's from MLCS, they were on backorder. They look great for the price. I ordered two. Don't know the Leecraft quality, but I'm very happy with these. Thanks for the recommendation.

On a side note. I finally managed to rig my OLD dial indicator to a 1x3 clamped to the 3650 miter gauge. After eliminating any slop, I'm reading no runout (or is it 'heel') using the Freud LU83R010. I marked one tooth with magic marker and measured with the dial indicator at the front of the table. I actually pressed the indicator about a ten thousandth against the carbide tip. I then rotated the mark to the back and measured again. No cahnge, still ten thousandth. I've double checked and will triple check later today. Could this be, or am I overlooking something?

Lance

Comment

I would suggest that a shop built crosscut sled would be much more valuable than a fancy aftermarker miter gage.

Comment

I'm like Badger Dave.. I got a new miter gauge, and wish I'd upgraded a long time ago.

I recently got the Osborne EB-3. Love it. The main difference with all the others is that it's not protractor based, which makes it very stable. http://www.osbornemfg.com/

I did, however, have to build a wall mounted custom storage shelf, since this thing is so huge! Took me about an hour... maybe I'll post a pic for anyone else that is inclined towards the Osborne.

IMO, the Ridgid ZCIs from Woodcraft and/or Lee Valley are exceptional. They're about $25 each, but perfectly made phenolic, pre-grooved, height adjustment screws, etc etc. I have two, one for normal use and one for 45 degree cuts. I have a couple of much cheaper ZCIs for dado widths (from peachtree woodworking).

As far as safety equipment, IMHO absolutely the first three things you should buy are (in order):
                      - Push stick / push pads
                      - Earplugs / Ear muffs
                      - Featherboards. I personally love the Magswitch featherboards, since they're so incredibly flexible on the cast iron top. Barring that, just go for some flavor of featherboard which tightens in the miter slot. I have two sets of Bench Dog FeatherLocs.. one set for the fence jig I made and one with the miter slot bar.

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
                        I would suggest that a shop built crosscut sled would be much more valuable than a fancy aftermarker miter gage.
                        Scored the Incra V27 from Rockler some time ago and I'm quite happy with it.

You need to know that in my dreams I can build a sled; for example. I'm on my second piece of Melamine thats going to be my outfeed table. The first, well, I measured correctly but cut the wrong side The scraps usefull tho.

The second piece was going OK until my (in)famous GMC router bit the dust in the middle of routing the miter bar slots. So I just dado'd the slots 3/4" and its sitting on the angle iron and the 2x4 legs I cut. I'll bolt it up and level it before the end of the year

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                          I'm like Badger Dave.. I got a new miter gauge, and wish I'd upgraded a long time ago.

IMO, the Ridgid ZCIs from Woodcraft and/or Lee Valley are exceptional. They're about $25 each, but perfectly made phenolic, pre-grooved, height adjustment screws, etc etc. I have two, one for normal use and one for 45 degree cuts. I have a couple of much cheaper ZCIs for dado widths (from peachtree woodworking).

As far as safety equipment, IMHO absolutely the first three things you should buy are (in order):
                          - Push stick / push pads
                          - Earplugs / Ear muffs
                          - Featherboards. I personally love the Magswitch featherboards, since they're so incredibly flexible on the cast iron top. Barring that, just go for some flavor of featherboard which tightens in the miter slot. I have two sets of Bench Dog FeatherLocs.. one set for the fence jig I made and one with the miter slot bar.
                          Got the push sticks, ear muffs (use them with my chain saw) and feather boards.

Comment

Working...
                          X