TS3650 should/must haves?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 should/must haves?

Almost every thread about almost every TS says to replace the miter gauge and get a better blade. These are the two that I've chosen. Since I'm a rank amature I just can't justify the $180 or so for the higher end Incra or Kreg; or should I.

Anything else I should be thinking about adding?

Kreg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Freud
    http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU83R010...6?ie=UTF8&s=hi

ZCI
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...611DZ&v=glance

Thanks in advance -

Lance
    You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Re: TS3650 should/must haves?

Looks like you're on your way. To be perfectly honest, the only item I replaced was the blade. So far Im quite happy with everything else on my TS. I did fine tune the miter and attached a wooden auxilary fence to it. This made my area larger for cutting miter angles accurately. I do like the price of the blade you posted, I paid more for mine. You will enjoy the blade. Lots of luck and keep us informed on the progress of the changes.
    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I bought that blade on Amazon about a month ago and I'm really pleased with it. It has given me jointer quality edges on everything I've ripped. I haven't replaced the miter gauge either. I added an auxiliary fence to it to extend the capacity and added the Ridgid hold down clamp. I haven't found a reason to justify spending $100+ on a high end miter gauge.

Comment

Hooligan -

It sounds like you just purchased a table saw. I would suggest you use your saw for a while with the stock miter gauge and rip fence then decide later if you want to upgrade. I bought a TS3650 in December, and I'm happy with both the miter gauge and fence. I've seen some miter gauges that look like they'd be more precise than the stock Ridgid gauge, but for now the stock one is fine for the work I do. I've also looked at some high dollar fences, and it seems to me the stock TS3650 fence is comparable to the expensive upgrades. It's an excellent fence, IMHO.

The stock blade is another matter. Buy a good blade, it makes a world of a difference. As you've seen, Amazon is wheelin' and dealin' saw blades; I've bought two Freuds from them in the last couple weeks (LU88R010 & LU84R011) when they were less than $40. The prices on Amazon fluctuate by the minute.

And a ZCI is nice, but you can make one yourself, I made two today using PapaDan's method: Click Me (thanks, Dan!). Actually, I made one ZCI and one insert so I could make a cut with the blade at a 45ยบ angle. On my saw, the blade came in contact with the stock insert when the blade was tilted. But making an insert was faster and easier than monkeying with alignment.

Happy sawdust making!

- djb
        sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

There is a post on here that has a promo code for 20% off saw blades on amazon. If you can't find it let me know. I was considering that blade too based on the great reviews, but I got the TK WWII instead. I got a new Amazon Visa so I got an extra $30 off and got the Forrest blade.

Just found it, the promo code for Amazon is: 20OFFPTA

Put it in at checkout and it will give you 20% off. It is also good for some router bits too.
          Last edited by dlgdoo; 02-11-2007, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Hooligan,

As djb suggested you might want to wait a bit before buying an after market miter gauge until you figure out exactly what it is that you plan to use your TS for.

I will say this though, once you buy a Kreg or an Incra you'll beat yourself up for waiting so long, I know I did. There is absolutely no comparison between a quality miter gauge and the OEM gauge that comes standard with most TS's. You don't have to spend a lot of money for a quality miter gauge either. The Incra V27 is an accurate miter gauge for example. It doesn't have a lot of fancy extra stuff but it is very accurate and is adjustable so that there isn't any slop in the miter channel.

As for the ZCI, you might want to check out MLCS. They charge about the same as the one you provided a link for but IIRC you don't have to pay freight from them. I could be wrong about that .
            ================================================== ====
            ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

djb said:
              It sounds like you just purchased a table saw.
              Any day now. I cashed in my CC rewards points and am waiting for a couple of hundred dollars in HD Gift cards that I'll use towards the purchase

BadgerDave said:
              As djb suggested you might want to wait a bit before buying an after market miter gauge
              Will do. I'll use that cash to buy a dado blade set!

So anyway, I've got about a hundred pounds of books coming from the woodworkers book club on table saws, mostly, but was wondering, other than common sense, any saftey accessories I should be considering? I don't plan on doing very much ripping of construction 2x4's just yet seeing as how I never operated a ts before.

Comment

Well, I just ordered the

Freud LU88R010 10-Inch 60T Perma-SHIELD Coated Thin Kerf Saw Blade

and
                DEWALT DW7670 8-Inch Stacked Dado

from Amazon using the 20% off coupon.

I didn't order the Freud 83R010 'cause it didn't come with free shipping I'm cheap I guess. I'll use the blade that ships with the saw for starters.

Now I have to buy the TS3650! No matter what the LOML says

Lance

Comment

Originally posted by Hooligan View Post
                  Almost every thread about almost every TS says to replace the miter gauge and get a better blade. Lance

The Kreg miter gauge you picked it is nice. But it you are thinking about also purchasing the fence for it, I would check out the Incra 1000SE. I have it and it is an awesome fence. The link is below.

Incra 1000SE.
                  http://www.woodpeck.com/incramiter1kse.html

You might also look at the following. Excellent miter gauge for the money.

Incra V27
                  http://www.woodpeck.com/miterv27.html

For a beginner, who is learning about woodworking with different materials, you might want to consider the following blade:

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=3399&p=5102

The blade is better than you might imagine. I have the whole range of Razor blades for each of my saws and I only switch to specialty blades under the most demanding cases. These Razor blades can cut fast, while still cutting increadibly smooth. But if you slow down, they can cut smooth as silk. A couple of years ago, Porter-Cable set up a tent at my local HD and demoed the blades. I got to play with them on all types of materials. Sold me on the spot.

As far as safety, just look through your books and make you a set of various feather boards, push sticks/handles, etc. These not only keep your fingers away from the blade (fingers can be very difficult to sew back on), they keep the work piece tight against the rip fence and, when using hold-down feather boards, tight on the table top. This improves safety AND gives a much smoother cut.

Enjoy the new saw. You will love it.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                    For a beginner, who is learning about woodworking with different materials, you might want to consider the following blade:
                    http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=3399&p=5102
                    That's the strangest looking saw blade I've ever seen!
                    - djb
                    sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

George: Thanks for the review of the Razor. I have read about these new progressive-toothed blades, but you are the first person I have heard that has actually used one. Guess they live up to the hype about being aggressive but giving a smooth cut. Do they work as well ripping as cross-cutting?

Go
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I wanted to be able to announce the arrival of my new TS3560 but the #!*%@ gift cards haven't showed up even tho I paid an extra $10. for expedited shipping.

On top of which its snowing AGAIN here in Santa Fe, NM and I'm so tired of fighting the snow; living in a semi-remote area I'm still recovering from the three feet we got right after New Years. And the snows after that, and that...

OK. I'll stop venting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
                          Do they work as well ripping as cross-cutting?
                          Go
                          They do indeed. I use them for virtually all of my work. I still use my extra thin kerf blades and a few others in some cases. But I keep the Razor on it most of the time. I have the 12" Razor for my Ridgid miter saw and a 7 1/4" Razor for my circular saw.

Comment

Originally posted by djb View Post
                            That's the strangest looking saw blade I've ever seen!
                            - djb
                            I thought the same thing when I saw them at the demo tent at my local HD. They let me cut everything from pine to melamine, from oak to composite/foam crown molding. The guy tood a 2x4 and cross-cut the end off in a paper-thin layer. Handed it to me and asked if I wanted a "potato chip"! Never seen pine crosscut that fine before!

Comment

Well, still no HD gift cards in the mail. Hopefully tomorrow and I can pick up the saw on Saturday.

But if anyone is still following this thread, I'm feeling like I maybe shouldn't have bought the Freud 60 tooth. Wondering about George's recommendation of the PC or my original pick the LU83R010. Good thing about Amazzon is no questions asked to return an item.

Thinking about blades, do you need a ZCI for each one? Doesn't seem like thin kerf from one mfg. is the same as anothers.

Also, about gauges and fences, just started reading Tolpin's "Table Saw Magic" and am feeling like I'd better come up with some sort of dust collection before I spend my kids inheritance on Incra, etc.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X