X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should MDF be sealed

Hi all! I am a newbie to the forum and must say that all of you are a wealth of information, and I have benefited already from your posts and answers.
    I am in the process of making a router table and am using two sheets of MDF for the top. I have laminated both sides and am wondering about T-slots and a miter slot. Should they be sealed before installing T-slots and miter slot, and if so which sealer do you suggest.

Re: Should MDF be sealed

It certainly wouldn't hurt that's for sure. One of the big enemies of MDF is moisture so as a precaution sealing it against that inevitable spilled cup of coffee is a good idea. I used polyurethene to seal the drill press table I made out of MDF and it's held up very nicely for years.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would seal them and the sides too unless you put laminate on them. You can use what ever film forming coating you have lying around. Anything that is poly based will work great

Comment

Sealing them is a good idea, it keeps moisture out and moisture in. MDF that is too dry is also bad.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will make sure they are sealed before installing slots.

Comment

The other responses have mentioned the benefits of sealing for the sake of your table. I have read that "sealing" is essential to keep the material, which contains some hazardous chemical, from out-gassing.

While this may not be essential for a well ventilated shop, it is a good idea for any area that may be occupied for any length of time.

CWS

Comment

CW, Thanks for the heads-up. Was not aware that MDF produced hazardous chemical out-gassing.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryD View Post
                Hi all! I am a newbie to the forum and must say that all of you are a wealth of information, and I have benefited already from your posts and answers.
                I am in the process of making a router table and am using two sheets of MDF for the top. I have laminated both sides and am wondering about T-slots and a miter slot. Should they be sealed before installing T-slots and miter slot, and if so which sealer do you suggest.
                What I did on mine and it was just to harden the surface after you route out for the track, I brushed a coat of Titebond glue in the track area and also where I routed out for my insert
                Carpenters make the prettiest firewood

Comment

Originally posted by TerryD View Post
                  CW, Thanks for the heads-up. Was not aware that MDF produced hazardous chemical out-gassing.
                  Thats what my wife says I do every night after dinner.....outgassing!!!
                  Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Working...
                  X