Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grip tite for table saw

hi
    I am new to woodworking and using a table saw . like most I have had that wonderfull experance of kickback .while surfing the web ,I came across grip tite a magnet tool that comes with rollers that pull the wood tight to the fence which elimates kickback .the web site youtube has a video of this tool.
    my ? is has any of the members here used this tool .I need some feed back as to good or a waste of money .
    thanks and sorry if posted in wrong forum

Re: grip tite for table saw

I don't have the product you're talking about so I can't comment on it. However, you might want to read this article before you start spending money on gizmo's you may or may not need. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for safety in the shop and a lot of the after market stuff makes that an easier job but the best safety feature in the world is proper technique.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

thanks for the info .
      I use push sticks , and try to be very safe .the problem I run into is when ripping finished hardwood flooring (the last 1/2inch piece that fits tight to the wall),the fence is tight to the blade and being left handed puts my body out of the way of kick backs ,yet I have to watch carefully to keep the wood tight againset the fence .the grip tite claims in there video to have rollers that pull the wood tight to the fence .I keep my quard in place ,but the anti-kick back carwls have to be taped up to rip anything narrower than 1inch.

Comment

Just a quick question from a relative newbie....why would you tape up the anti-kickback pawls for thinner rips? I'm not saying you're wrong...far from it. I'm trying to ascertain the safe way to do this!!!

I too have heard of the device you're talking about. Is this any better than a fingerboard that would slot into the T-slot? For my money, I think I'd rather make a fingerboard to do that than pay the money for a device I am not sure about. Just my opinion, however.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

va sandy
          I to ? tapeing up the anti-kickbacks .when you rip small .5inch stirps of finished hardwood on my saw the only way to get the fence that close to the spiltter and the correct measurment is to tape them out of the way.
          I have thought about making a feather board like the ones for sale on the web .this product how ever seems to be way above what a simple feather board can do .the real ? is is it worth the money ?.

Comment

If you still have your TS3650 owners manual, look on page 55 for a jig (pushblock and aux fence) that makes cutting thin strips safe and easy. Page 62 has a pic of how to use it. I was pleased to see it in there as it is a tried and true jig that's been around for years. An aux fence that clamps to the stock fence, but has a flat edge that extends out toward the blade gives you room to maneuver without the danger of a thin pushblock getting caught in the blade. Another source would be a book on table saw techniques. The one I have is Table Saw Techniques, Author Roger W. Cliffe Published by Sterling Publishing Copyright 1984 ISBN 0-8069-5540-6. There are many other good books and also a lot of free info on the 'net.
            You can make your own jigs or buy ones ready made, but the First rule is to keep your hands away from the blade, and the second is to keep the work from getting pinched (i.e prevent kickback). If you don't have the bucks for the store bought, please expend the time and effort to make your own.

JMTCW
            Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

This is on the Newsstand now.
              Pretty good articles and some important and useful info.
              You might want to peruse it.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/st...edate=1/1/2007

ON NEWSSTANDS NOW –Popular Woodworking: Essential Guide to Table Saws
              Price: $8.00
              In most shops, the Table Saw is the most-used machine. This special publication, available only at newstands and on our website is a compilation of some of our best articles on tuning, tweaking and using your saw, accurately, efficiently and safely. Included is our noted "Woodworking Essentials" series on the table saw by Nick Engler. Also featured is Jim Tolpin's Universal Rip Fence and a look at new saws and new accessories.

Articles and Features 19-Step Table Saw Tune-up
              by Paul Anthony
              Page number: 12; Article length: 6 pp.
              With a little elbow grease and a few dollars worth of measuring tools, you can turn your table saw into a powerful and precise cutting machine. Step-by-step instructions for aligning, cleaning, maintaining and reducing vibration.

Accurate & Safe User's Guide
              by David Thiel
              Page number: 20; Article length: 5 pp.
              You'll be ready to make any cut with confidence when you are armed with these techniques for clean, accurate, and most important-safe work.

Favorite Table Saw Accessories
              by Staff
              Page number: 81; Article length: 3 pp.
              Our editors and contributors share their favorite ways to soup up their saws.

Jim Tolpin's Universal Rip Fence
              by Jim Tolpin
              Page number: 88; Article length: 7 pp.
              Jim Tolpin literally wrote the book on using the table saw. Here, he shares his plans for a simple fence fixture that greatly increases the capability of your table saw.

Stop Rust Now
              by Michael Rabkin
              Page number: 102; Article length: 4 pp.
              Fighting rust on your table saw's cast-iron top is an ongoing battle. These tips, products and techniques will help you win the fight.

Table Saw Tenon Jig
              by Bill Hylton
              Page number: 84; Article length: 4 pp.
              This easy to make jig rides on your rip fence and is a terrific way to turn out accurate tenons on your table saw.

What You Must Know About Motors
              by Christopher Schwarz
              Page number: 98; Article length: page
              Peak performance is often the result of making the right choices. Learn the secrets that the manufacturers won't tell you about electric motors.

What's New In Table Saws
              by Staff
              Page number: 107; Article length: 5 pp.
              Discover the latest in table saws. New models, new manufacturers and the SawStop-the table saw with an automatic braking system to keep you safe.

Woodworking Essentials
              by Nick Engler
              Page number: 25; Article length: 56 pp.
              Nick Engler's acclaimed series on using the table saw originally ran as a series of seven articles over the course of a year. It is reproduced here in it's entirety for the first time. Chapter 1: Introduction to the Table Saw Chapter 2: Using the Saw Blade Chapter 3: Basic Joinery Chapter 4: Customize Your Table Saw Chapter 5: Advanced Joinery Chapter 6: Special Techniques Chapter 7: Advanced Techniques
              Attached Files
              Last edited by swampyankee; 02-13-2007, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by s75952004 View Post
                va sandy
                I to ? tapeing up the anti-kickbacks .when you rip small .5inch stirps of finished hardwood on my saw the only way to get the fence that close to the spiltter and the correct measurment is to tape them out of the way.
                I have thought about making a feather board like the ones for sale on the web .this product how ever seems to be way above what a simple feather board can do .the real ? is is it worth the money ?.

Ah...I got ya. I just wasn't thinking the whole thing through. I guess the smallest I've ripped would be around 1.5". Any closer, and it's usually a dado or "non-through" cut, where I take the splitter and guard assembly off. I've always heard "Keep your keeper piece next to the fence" so when I'm trying to remove .5", the rest of the board is on the fence. I can see where those pawls would be getting in the way!

The device sounds like it'd be just the thing to help keep things up against the fence and probably would help a good bit with kickback. The question becomes if it would actually cause any binding? If you put the thing past the blade, it would almost certainly bind, I'd think. Just ahead of the blade would be good. A thin, but hard push stick is REQUIRED for what you're doing, so you can continue the piece past the blade. Something like the Pushloc from Bench Dog, probably. I like it cause it has that nifty non-slip rubber piece on the bottom!
                Attached Files
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I've had two Grip-tites for several years. They work very well. Using the thing as a magnetic fingerboard on your tablesaw top, you don't have to worry about fitting a featherboard in the miter slot. You just plunk it down in the proper position and move it when you need to. If you have a steel ripfence face (or if you get the Grip-tite steel face plate), you can use the Grip-tite as a vertical hold-down. There is a small sandpaper-covered roller that helps hold the workpiece agaist the fence, in addition to the plastic vane. You can use the Grip-tite on any cast iron or steel tool table or fence, jointer, drill press, bandsaw, whatever. Some company has come out recently with a magnetic featherboard that resembles the regular, old-fashioned kind. That's worth a look also. I think Rockler and Woodcraft may carry them.
                  Joe Spear

Comment

I also have two of the grip-tites and they work very well. I can only use them on the fence on my saw because the table is aluminum. I saw the grip-tite demonstrated and a woodworking show last year and was sold. He took a 6' 2x4 and started to rip it. About 12" into the cut he stopped feeding the board and started shaking it form side to side pulling it away from the fence. The grip-tites held the board and there was no kick back. Then he walked arount the outfeed side. the saw was still running, and pulled the board through the rest of the way and the board was still held tight against the fence. He did what nobody in their right mind would do on a table saw and there was no kick back. If using them only on the fence one is positioned before the blade and the other is after the blade so the board stays tight to the fence right through the completion of the cut.

Comment

thanks for the good info . I bought the magazine ,and was quite impressed with it .
                      to fred, and joe have you used the grip tite to cross cut on your table saw?
                      fred when you saw the demo did the man realy go after the board or did it seem he was not pushing the limits.
                      thanks again guys

Comment

I don't know how you would use the Grip-Tite to crosscut a board. I use the things to hold a board in place when ripping along the length.
                        Joe Spear

Comment

When he did the demo he had the blade about a half inch into the wood. He would feed the board, stop, then shake it hard from side to side, stop again then feed and shake some more. The whole time he's doing this he's not even looking at the board but at the audience watching him. When he was done he flipped over the board and you see where he stopped an shook the board every time. The kerf was straight at first and then got wide where he shook it then straight again. The whole point of it was that the grip-tite would always keep the board tight against the fence on the in and outfeed side of the blade with no kick back. I think I paid a little over a $100 for the to grip-tites and the steel fence which you have to mount to your saws fence. It even came with a DVD on all the different ways to use the grip-tite. It's great for ripping sheet goods.

Comment

thanks guys
                            I need to order one real soon

Comment

Working...
                            X