Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panel for doors

Hi,

I'm making some rail and stile (sp?) doors with a 1/4" panel for a cabinet project.

For the panel, I would think plywood or a partical core ply is the best choice, but would there be any issues with using 1/4" hardboard (kinda like MDF) for the panel?

Thanks,
    FSK

Re: Panel for doors

I know a number of people that only use MDF for painted panels (plenty of MDF haters too). Obviously if you are talking about a large panel, then stability comes into play. I would guess that this wouldn’t be an issue though. What will be an issue, and something to add some stability, is that your ¼” panel isn’t going to be a ¼”. You will want to buy ½” material and rabbit the edges to a snug fit or else the panel will shake inside the rails and stiles (you are correct in your sp).

Comment

You can use plywood or hardboard for the panels. To stop them moving you can use glue since the panels are not solid wood they will not expand and contract. You can even glue in solid wood panels as long as it is only a drop at the top and bottom in the middle of the width of the panel, solid wood only has significant movement across its width. You can also use a product like space balls if you are worried about movement on large panels

Comment

From my standpoint, the finish will dictate the wood choice.
        If you are painting the doors, anything will work, providing it's smooth.
        When I do painted cabinets/doors, I use maple veneer MDF core sheets. It's smooth and will be a true 1/4".
        1/4" plain MDF or masonite will show some bumpyness due to how it's made. That's why I use a Maple MDF core.

If you are going to use ANY plywood product, (veneer core) take your tape measure along and check it. Most "import" plywoods are a 3 core and measure 4 1/2mm in thickness. That's real close to 3/16" and sucks for inset panel doors.

Mark
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I used 1/4" hardboard from HD. It was alittle thick for the slots I cut into the rails and stiles, so I put a little rebate (sp?) along the edges and they fit quite snug. Didn't notice any bumpiness though, but I haven't painted them yet.

If they paint up smooth, this will be my go-to method for painted flat paneled doors. It worked pretty well.

FSK

Comment

Working...
          X