X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ts3650 - binding tilt screw

How do you prevent sawdust binding the threaded tilt screw? I used a wire brush and brushed it well but found I could only move it a short distance before the fine dust left would collect ahead of the mechanism and bind again. I had to back off, brush some more....and repeat.....and repeat....and repeat. My saw is new and I've used it very little, mostly making a few jigs. Surely this isn't standard procedure all the time - you'd never get anything accomplished. Could there of been excessive lubricant on it? I just recently hooked a small shop vac to it but it won't stop the fine dust that was still causing me problems. Anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?

Re: ts3650 - binding tilt screw

Welcome to the forum.

Terri, I suspect you have another issue causing the binding. It's impossible to keep the threaded rods clean from sawdust. The sawdust is not strong enough to cause binding, IMO. There must be an alignment problem causing the binding.
    Last edited by KenM; 02-13-2007, 09:43 AM. Reason: Welcome
    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

I agree with Ken. There was a fellow who posted a week or two ago with nearly the same problem. I believe his turned out to be a burr on the trunion or rod. I would check to anything like that while checking the alignment.
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

If you are using a ZCI, you will have to remove it to tilt the blade. You can either make a new one for the tilt angle, or use the stock one. Also, make sure the lock lever (under the front of the table above the height adjustment wheel) is loose and turned so it is not binding against the table top. When it is loose, push in and you can reset where it sits to get clearance. IF you have tried to tilt it with the lock tight, you may have to remove a burr where it locks inside.

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

"Also, make sure the lock lever (under the front of the table above the height adjustment wheel) is loose and turned so it is not binding against the table top."

I forgot that one. I have had myself do that to me a couple of times! ;-D
          I loosened it, then as the blade assembly tilted the darn lever moved up against the top and that tightened it again.

Thanks for the reminder, Go
          Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

I learned that one from experience. Must have done it a half-dozen times myself in the past year. If you don't do a lot of bevel cuts, its easy to forget

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
            X