X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid WD1450 Vac Extension Wand Holder

I checked my vac, it's a 16 gallon convertible so it's a bit different. None of the holders are designed to accommodate the smaller end of the wand. My manual doesn't show the wand but the hose resting in the holder. I think Ridgid should come up with an explanation for neblinc's concern.
    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I read thru my earlier post and was refering to a male or female end when I should have been using large and small ends. My apologies for the confusion.
      If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I went ahead and called customer service and they had forwarded my email to corporate but did not inform me until I called.
        They are sending out an adapter that will satisfy me I think.
        Thanks for all the "ears" of my venting

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by neblinc View Post
          I went ahead and called customer service and they had forwarded my email to corporate but did not inform me until I called.
          They are sending out an adapter that will satisfy me I think.
          Thanks for all the "ears" of my venting

Randy
          Well... you won't be able to attach your accessories to the end of the wand with that thing on there, so if you use an accessory then my suggestion would be to glue the adapter down to the holder so when you lift the wand, the adapter stays put.

Alternately, if you use the same accessory most of the time, then when you put away the vac, instead of taking off the accessory and putting it in the bag, just take off the whole wand. Stick the end of the hose on one of the castors and the female end of the wand, with the accessory still attached to the other end, on the other castor. This might be more convenient in the end.

Comment

That adaptor may come in very handy if you ever want to connect 2 hoses together. It should solve the storage problem too. Rather than to glue it in place, you might just drill a little hole in the side and use a small sheet metal screw to hold it to the caster cover. Then you can take the screw out and use it as a hose connector if you need it. Actually, they don't cost that much and you might want an extra one.

This still doesn't really fix the problem, but is a nice work around. Ridgid would do well to make up caster covers that would work with both sizes of want ends.

Update: Drill the hole in the adaptor a tiny big larger than the screw so it passes through it easy. In the caster cover drill a hole about 1/2 the diameter of the screw. You may not need this at all. Try tapping the adaptor on to the caster cover with a block of wood or such. It might go on nice and tight. If you ever need another, Home Depot or Lowes normally stocks them.
            Last edited by Woussko; 02-16-2007, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I like the screw idea!! I still can't believe Ridgid let this design flaw get out the door. It wil interesting if I get contacted by anyone in upper management about this issue or if it will be a non issue tio them.

Randy

Comment

neblinc -

When I saw the title of your post I knew exactly what it was about. I bought a 16-gal Ridgid Shop Vac last year and right out of the box, that was the first thing I noticed, the hose can't be stored on "handy" holder they have on the vac feet. Wand extensions can be stored there, upside down, but there's no way to secure the hose.

Definitely a design flaw. I asked a guy at HD once, and right away he smiled and shook his head, so I bet they are aware of the problem. But that's the only problem I have with this Vac, so I learned to live with it...

- djb
                sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Just a little bit more info. The hose connector for the big 2-1/2 size hose which is much closer to 2 inches ID can be found in HD, Lowes and maybe good hardware stores. It doesn't need to be Ridgid brand. The one by ShopVac will work too. This is a design issue and I hope that it gets fixed soon. I want to see them change to a cone shape where either end fits and even the smaller 1-1/4 attachments would fit.

I have one of what's in the picture. ShopVac makes it and it's for adapting to different sizes of dust collecting ports, but I plan to check it out for this problem. I bet if the square were made round and the smallest steps cut off it might just be what I have in mind. I'll go see if Lowes has one. If they do, I'll get one and take measurements. I have a wild idea in my mind, but need to be sure it will actually work.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Ah, I'm not the only one - Glad I found this post. Today I've opened my WD1450 shop vac and tested it out. Works great but when I went to put store the hose and extension wand, it didn't fit. I spent 30 minutes dumbfounded by the manual - "Insert male end of extension wand into the holder sleeve as shown". Tried many different options and discovered only the female end fit. For a second, I had to re-think what was male and what was female then concluded that the manual was incorrect.

I agree, they should make it easier to store the wand and hose so I consider this a design flaw. Yes, the attachments do fit there but mine vac came with a bag holder which holds those items fine.

Comment

Originally posted by djb View Post
                      neblinc -

When I saw the title of your post I knew exactly what it was about. I bought a 16-gal Ridgid Shop Vac last year and right out of the box, that was the first thing I noticed, the hose can't be stored on "handy" holder they have on the vac feet. Wand extensions can be stored there, upside down, but there's no way to secure the hose.

Definitely a design flaw. I asked a guy at HD once, and right away he smiled and shook his head, so I bet they are aware of the problem. But that's the only problem I have with this Vac, so I learned to live with it...

- djb
                      That's really weird. I bought a ridgid 16 gallon vac last year as well and am able to store the end of the hose on the vac feet. Do your attachments fit without any problems on the end of the hose? There's a recess on the top of the nub in the feet where the end of your hose should fit over. The only thing I can think of why the end of the hose won't fit is that the inner diameter of your hose is smaller becase the end of the hose is thicker than the one I have which I believe is the reason why the small end of the extension wand won't fit. Sounds confusing, hope it makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X