Ridgid WD1450 Vac Extension Wand Holder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid WD1450 Vac Extension Wand Holder

I just bought this Vac at Home Depot and is it just me, or is there a problem trying to put the extension wand into the holder with the male end?
    Seems to me the the holder will accept the female end but no way on the male end. Do I call customer service about this?

Randy

Re: Ridgid WD1450 Vac Extension Wand Holder

Into the holder? What holder? I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do.

The famale end of the extension wand should stuck onto the end of the hose and then you put your final accessory on the male end of the wand.

Comment

Ok, on the diagram I have circled in red the rear foot caster which has a place to store the wand extensions when you are not using the Vac.
      So I have all the pieces together, hose,wands etc.
      When I am done and ready to store the hose, according to the manual I just insert the male end of the wand onto the rear foot caster.
      Well, it won't fit!

Randy

Comment

If my memory is correct you have to try to insert the larger female end.

It normally works out better to just get a large box, cut off the 4 flaps and use it to store the hose and attachments. It's a good idea to keep a spare filter handy too.

If you don't like the box idea, maybe a large plastic waste basket would work.

Comment

Mine will only fit by using the female end and works fine.
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

That defeats the whole purpose of leaving all the extensions & hose hooked together for storage.
            I think this is a design flaw!!
            This is a pic right out of the manual.

Randy
            Last edited by neblinc; 02-14-2007, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Well that diagram makes it pretty clear that you're right and it should fit.

Actually... now that I think of it, shouldn't the male end of the extension be the same as the end of the hose? I've got a bigger vac but I know that I can stick the end of hose over the thing on the wheels. Can you try that? If the end of the hose fits, then the end of the wand should fit as well... perhaps with just a bit more force.

My vac has a bunch more of those things for accessory storage instead of a bag.

Comment

Should have been made so the smaller male end fits. I think a work-around might be to use a hose coupler. That way both ends of one wand can be the larger female size. It's sort of a half @$$ fix but should work. Try the female end of a wand and see if it does fit. If not, then the designing was really messed up. Actually your's isn't the first shop vac where they messed up. It really would be nicer if the smaller male end fit.

This kind of reminds me of the design for the plastic cases for Milwaukee Sawzalls. Look inside and try to figure where to store blades. Also look at some the other designing. I about flipped out thinking the designer had to have been high in the clouds. I ended up getting a used but good cond. steel case for mine. Sooooo much better
                Last edited by Woussko; 02-14-2007, 10:52 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

neblinc,

I have a different Ridgid vac but has the same feet as yours. My wand will only fit the holders on the female end. A thought is maybe 1 of the feet will accomodate both male or female. I haven't looked at mine but will tonight. I think either end should work also, would make using the vac for cleanup more convenient.
                  If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Maybe the picture in this post will give you some ideas. The big cloth hopper bag can store the hose, an extension cord, wands and several attachments. I think this could be added to a any large size shop vac and especially if it has a steel or SS drum.

I'll try to get some idea of the prices on the parts to make up that kit and might post.

Click thumbnail (little pic) to see larger.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Woussko; 02-14-2007, 11:07 PM.

Comment

You guy's are missing the point
                      There is a problem with the unit and I do not want work arounds. I want someone from Ridgid to admit to the flaw and either replace or repair it.
                      I have not heard back from customer service at all since I sent the info yesterday.
                      I spent over an hour at Home Depot trying to decide between all the models, and decided on this one for the size & hose storage that seemed to be the most bang for the buck.
                      I get it home, go through the manual, put it together, use it, then go to put everything away and it does not stow away like the manual shows.
                      So to me it is a defect that needs to be addressed by Ridgid.
                      I guess If I don't hear back from customer service, I will just take it back and get a Shop Vac Brand instead.

Randy

Comment

It appears only one of the feet is designed to work that way. Maybe the one you got was packaged incorrectly and you ended up with 4 feet all the same? You could try taking it back to HD and getting another (maybe open and verify the correct parts before leaving). They do have a 90 satisfaction policy. If this theory is correct, it would also be faster than waiting for Ridgid to get you the correct part even. Downside is knowing HD they will put yours back on the shelf and someone else will get the shaft.

I checked and I was incorrect in my previous post. I do not have the exact same model and mine is not designed to have this feature.
                        Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I think that Neblinc is upset that this is a design issue. If you look at the picture in the owner's manual (see his post) it shows the hose connected to a wand and the small end down by a caster. I really doubt the small end will fit other models of Ridgid vacs, but it would be interesting to try a few of them a HD to find out.

It's been some time since I got rid of my Ridgid (Still in use at a friend's place) and went over to a more serious industrial vac. Yes, it was some good $ but I'm happy that I did. What I remember was that mine (9 gallon model - Ridgid) was that you could put the larger end of two wands into the rear caster assemblies and some other attachments (again the large size end) in the front casters. The smaller end just wouldn't fit. This is from memory and I could be wrong about this.

If you do trade it for a ShopVac brand vac, be sure to check it out carefully. Some of their ideas for storage are pretty crazy too. I like the simple hopper bag myself. I can put anything I want in it. If it want to tip over backwards, a big flagstone in the bottom of the drum holds it nice and level. Or, just let the weight of the dirt sucked up help.

Parts list for several models of Ridgid brand wet/dry vacs: http://ridgid.com/ASSETS/1686AFE18A4...35_Vacs_PL.pdf

From what I can see the WD1450 has 2 types of caster assemblies of which only one of them could be used for storage of anything. They are the rear ones. This is if the pictures are correct. So far I can't find where I can download the owner's manual.
                          Last edited by Woussko; 02-15-2007, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Not that it helps any, but here's my suspicion.

I think that maybe they changed the extensions at some point and didn't realize that they broke the design.

I just went and checked mine. Same as you, the small end of the wand doesn't fit the holder on the castor. Curiously though, the end of the hose fits on just fine, and that's how it's shown in the diagram in my manual. It shows the hose connected to one, and the wand connected to another.

The small end of the wand has the same OD as the end of the hose... but a slightly smaller ID. That's the problem.

I agree with you that it's a defect now, though I don't think you're going to find a resolution.

Comment

For what it may be worth, I checked the ID of some old Ridgid and also ShopVac brand plastic wands. They are very close. The OD is different, but in this case it wouldn't matter.

It would be nice if they could make the caster covers so that either end fits, or maybe do one side one way and the other side the other. Hmmm How about a rounded end tapered cone? That would work for both and be easy to make.

Comment

Working...
                              X