X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Mounting Plate Question

When mounting a router to a router mounting plate to be used in a table do you leave the sub-base on the router or do you remove it.....and why???

Re: Router Mounting Plate Question

I removed mine. I assume it is so you can get the full depth when adjusting the router bit. It will be interesting to read other replies as well...
    Stay well and play well.
    Skip

Comment

I removed mine. I used the same screw holes that hold the sub base on to mount the router to the table/plate. I agree with skipsax that it will also give you additional height.
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I removed it. More depth.

DWC

Comment

I'm not sure "more depth" is exactly an accurate description of why you need to remove the base plate. Yes, you'll get "more depth" when compared to leaving the subbase on, but with the routers that I've seen, if you don't remove the subbase, you simply will NOT have ENOUGH depth.

I have Craftsman, Ryobi, and Ridgid routers. The Ryobi has a 3-base kit and the Ridgid the 2-base. All of the subbases are at least a 1/4-inch thick with the Ridgid subbases being 3/8-inch thick. If you don't remove the subbases before mounting to a table, you may not have enough protrusion above the table to do the desired cut. This may lead a less experienced person to pull the bit higher, leaving too little shank in the collet, which is rather dangerous.

This is especially true on the Ryobi and Craftsman routers that I have, but even on the Ridgid, the base of the cutter at maximum collet extension is only 3/8 of an inch. Fine if your mounting plate is 1/4-inch, but some tables that don't use a removable mounting plate may be thicker at that point.

I've also noted that some of the cheaper bit sets like Hickory, have shorter shanks, which only amplifies the problem.

CWS

Comment

I always remove mine. Seems to me it'd be a bit of a headache to leave it in since you'd need longer screws and have to fiddle with an extra moving part (the base) when mounting your router to the table. Not sure I see any advantage to leaving the base on...

Steve

Comment

I removed mine. Seemed it just made sense for max height from the table.
              If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I'd say I removed mine to get more lateral bit clearance. The hole in the factory base plate was too small for the diameter bits I'm running in the table. It would make the removable rings in the Rousseau I'm using a bit redundant if I left the base plate on the router.
                Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies. I will be removing the sub-base.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryD View Post
                    When mounting a router to a router mounting plate to be used in a table do you leave the sub-base on the router or do you remove it.....and why???
                    not if you are using a drop in plate. Mount the base right onto the insert you are using
                    Carpenters make the prettiest firewood

Comment

Working...
                    X