Dato Blade for TS2400LS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dato Blade for TS2400LS

I have never needed a dato blade, but now it appears that I do.

What size would you recommend? I have seen an 8" and a 10". Does it actually make a difference?

What about a insert for the table top? Where would I get one of these?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Tks in advance
    The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.

Re: Dato Blade for TS2400LS

I've owned two sets, and both were very good....Freud SD208, recently replaced with the DeWalt DW7670. The DW has twice as many teeth and makes a cleaner cut in the little use it's seen so far. Both were 8", but 6" would work well too. The limiting factor is usually the length of the arbor, which will determine how wide your dado cut can get. You're not likely to see alot of 10" dado sets and I'm not sure your 2400 would spin it that well....stick with 6" or 8".

http://www.epinions.com/DW7670
    Last edited by hewood; 02-15-2007, 07:44 PM.

Comment

I use a Freud 8" that can cut up to 3/4" wide but my arbor isn't long enough to allow such cuts. I have the TS3650. I agree with hewood, 6" or 8" should be fine.
      If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Originally posted by amcnerl View Post
        I use a Freud 8" that can cut up to 3/4" wide but my arbor isn't long enough to allow such cuts. I have the TS3650. I agree with hewood, 6" or 8" should be fine.
        You can cut a 3/4" (actually up to 13/16") dado with the TS3650. With the dado stack, you do not need the shoulder washer under the nut. (see the top of page 66 of the owners manual) Without the shoulder washer, the nut will go far enough onto the arbor to safely secure the dado stack. Just be careful when you tighten the nut so that you don't get any teeth hitting each other, as the outside blade may rotate a little as you do the final tightening on the nut. I have cut quite a few 3/4 and 23/32" dadoes with my 3650.
        I have heard that the Freud 600 series "Dial-a-Dado" is too wide for the 3650 arbor because the hub is too thick to fit the shaft, even without the washer. As for 6" vs 8", the 6" will cut to over an inch deep, which is more than enough for most work, and they are less expensive. With less teeth, they dull a little quicker on the outside blades than the 8". I personally have had little luck with the variable type (wobble) dado blades. They usually give a poor quality cut, especially on the bottom (it isn't flat).

As for the insert, ZuKi, I make my own for whatever width I am cutting if it is cabinet-grade work or many repetitive cuts. (do a search for "clearance insert") For rough work, I use the closest one i already have cut. For the cleanest cut, only run the blade up though the blank to about the height of the dado depth, and then mark the back of the insert for future reference (ex: "23/32w x 3/8d"). I think ridgid sells a standard dado insert (full width/depth clearance) for about $11.

Go
        Last edited by Gofor; 02-15-2007, 08:58 PM.
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Gofor,

I thought I could do that but was concerned with the safety of the tool. Another concern was the stock insert, it didn't look wide enough for the blade to fit. I didn't try, just an observation. Thanks for the info...
          If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Originally posted by amcnerl View Post
            Gofor,

I thought I could do that but was concerned with the safety of the tool. Another concern was the stock insert, it didn't look wide enough for the blade to fit. I didn't try, just an observation. Thanks for the info...
            As gofor said: You should use a zero clearance insert for each width of dado you cut.

PS. We got a little off topic here. Does anyone know for sure the dado capacity of the TS2400?
            Last edited by Lorax; 02-16-2007, 05:41 PM.
            Lorax
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Tks for the input.

I'll take a look for "clearance insert" and the Ridgid dato insert.
              The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.

Comment

Working...
              X