Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a round table

hi
    now as a new person to wood working ,I need some help .I tried the search and had no luck ,so sorry if this post has been beat to death.

I want to take a 4'/8' sheet of oak plywood and make a round table out of it.
    my ? is what is the best way to cut it , my plan is to place a nail in the centre attach a string pull it tight and use a small pencile to trace the circle.as my hands are not that steady free handing a cut .what do you guys do ?.
    thanks

Re: making a round table

I'm not too good with the string technique. Finally picked up a cheap tramel point set at HF, but in the past I use a wood strip. (an old wooden yardstick works great). Drill one hole and put a screw (or nail) though it for the center point. Drill another hole (or cut a small notch) just big enough for your pencil point at the radius you want. The wood won't stretch like a string, and you won't have the tendency to slant the pencil in or out as you go around.
    For cutting it out, you can screw the strip to your router base or put a small block on it to rest the outside of your jigsaw sole against and use it to guide your cut. They sell circle cutting jigs like this at Sears for the router. If you use the jig saw, a strip about as wide as the length of the jigsaw sole will make it easier to keep the saw vertical and lined up with the cut. A piece of double sided (carpet) tape will help keep the sole on the strip.

Just a couple of ideas

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Use your string or a stick to mark your circle. Cut it out slightly oversized with a jig saw. Use a belt sander, either handheld or table mounted, to sand down the edge to your line. You can get iron on edge banding to match your plywood to finish it off with.
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Use the stick or string to mark the outline of your table. Then you may want to rough cut outside the line with a jigsaw, then build (or buy) a trammel guide for your router to clean up the cut. Using a good quality router bit would give you a better cut that a jigsaw would.

Comment

my be obvious but cut the sheet in half first as the max size is 4' round.
          Do you have a bandsaw?
          If you want to do an oval here an easy way

Comment

Some good suggestions but I wonder since he is just starting out if some of the tools proposed are in his arsenal.

While a router is almost a must have he may not hace aquired one yet. The jig saw and sanding to the line is a good choice I think if a jig saw is available to use. If you have neither and are on the fence as to which to buy first I'd go with a router. You can make the entire cut with the router, but you will have to do so slowly and in stages. Only cut about 1/8" deep and after the first time around step down another 1/8 or 3/16. Use a small diameter bit, 1/4" would be good. You can use the other half of the sheet of ply to build yourself a circle jig for your router. It will be something you will use time and again so I would not consider it a waste of time.

You are going to run into this for a while on just about every new project...you'll find yourslef building jigs and such to complete the work which will add to the time to complete the first project. After that you can just oull the jig out of your bag of tricks and zip right through.

Here's plans to one I found in only seconds using Google:
            http://www.southpointhawaii.com/incl...-routerjig.pdf
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

thanks guys ,a lot of realy good tips .I need to get a router .
              which type of router is best all round "plunger or none"

Comment

If you can swing it get one of the 'combo' kits. a fixed and a plunge base with one motor to swap between them. RIDGID, PC890 (or for slightly less the 690 series), the new Craftsman (which looks like a spitting image of the PC8890) would near the top of my list.

Check out Pat Warner's web site for lots of info on routers.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Make a template for a router to sit on and use the router as your compass, use a 1/4" straight bit as a cutter

Originally posted by s75952004 View Post
                  hi
                  now as a new person to wood working ,I need some help .I tried the search and had no luck ,so sorry if this post has been beat to death.

I want to take a 4'/8' sheet of oak plywood and make a round table out of it.
                  my ? is what is the best way to cut it , my plan is to place a nail in the centre attach a string pull it tight and use a small pencile to trace the circle.as my hands are not that steady free handing a cut .what do you guys do ?.
                  thanks
                  Carpenters make the prettiest firewood

Comment

Working...
                  X