X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miter joint jig adjustment

I've made a miter sled. I've been cutting test pieces for 2 days now. My saw is tuned up (blade to 90 and parallel to slots). My miters are not closing on the outside edge. Why? Also when using a stop block for length, is it best to use a mitered end or a flat end on the stop block. I'm goin nuts and I can't think straight anymore. HELP!!!!
    Dan

DAN

Re: miter joint jig adjustment

Is it possible the workpiece is moving slightly after the cut is started? Even a small bit of creep will change the gemoetry enough to cause that kind of problem.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I agree with VASandy, hold your piece down firmly or use a clamp. I will use a stop block when I'm doing my miters w/the miter cut touching the block.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Are you using the left leg of the sled for one piece and the right leg for the matching piece? If so, any error in the sled should cancel out. If you are using it correctly, like Sandy and garager said, the piece(s) must be shifting slightly. I use the mitered end against the stop block, being careful that the point is not slipping behind the block.
        ken
        Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Yes, I've had an epiphany! My left fence was not square to the base. I'm gonna redo my fence system incorporating some T-track for a stop and head down to the city to buy a couple toggle clamps for stability.
          It's just amazing how frustrating things become and then you find yourself going in circles. Just can't think straight anymore. Sometimes you really need to step away. Get a good night sleep and approach it fresh.
          Thanks for the insight. I'll post back on the outcome.
          Dan

DAN

Comment

Working...
          X