TS2424 Cost?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2424 Cost?

What should I expect to pay for the TS2424? I'm getting ready to go out and take a look at one, but, I've seen costs for this saw range from $500 - $650...at least on web sites that have reviewed it. Thanks for any input.

Home Depot up here gets $597.00 for the model with the extra goodies. DAwg [img]smile.gif[/img]
    He who dies with the most power tools wins!

Comment

my home depot here in michigan gets the same price.......$597...a great deal I think....Goldenwing
      Goldenwing

Comment

Here in Ohio, $597. I have one of the original 2424, the 01, which was $649. Then came the RAS and the newer 2424 with Herc-U-Lift(wish I had it) and the price was reduced to $597. The 2412 runs about $497. It is a great saw, mine was very true out of the box, I had to do little adjusting.

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: Tom Roper ]

Comment

Sounds like $597 is it. [img]smile.gif[/img] That is a great deal! Thanks for the responses.

Does the 2424 have an enclosed moror (i.e. TEFC)?

Comment

Nope, open drip-proof. Not a problem tho' as it is positioned pretty well out of the dust stream. Dawg
            He who dies with the most power tools wins!

Comment

Vacuum it every now and again. There have been an awful lot of tablesaws running for an awful long time with ODP motors.

Dave

Comment

OK..need your help guys..Im a rookie at this..but love this forum...could you please explain what a TEFC motor is..and an ODP..or was it ODR...?????..see..told ya I was a rookie!!....youre help would be appreciated!

thanks..ECOKE

Comment

Hey Ecoke,
                  I don't about ODP, but TEFC stands for Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled motor. And the TS 2424 at this time does not have a TEFC motor.
                  Gregg

Comment

TEFC, as Greg said, is Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled. But, what does that mean?

It means severals things. One is that, theoretically, dust cannot get in and gum up the works of the motor, a good thing. But, it also means the motor tends to overheat, since cooling air can't pass through it. So, a fan is mounted to the end of the motor to blow on the casing. This adds to the size of the motor, and also to the power draw, since the fan is a parasitic power user. TEFC motors are very important where called for, which is high-dust areas. A cabinet saw motor is a good example, the motor is down inside the cabinet with all the sawdust. But a contractor's saw motor is a fair piece out of the way of all the dust.

ODP is Open, Drip-Proof. Open means just that, stare at the end of the motor and you are looking inside. Drip-proof means it isn't so open that a drop of moisture on it would cause a short. If I recall correctly, an open "non-drip-proof", so to speak is called an Open Frame Motor. I could be off on that, though.

Jet, a popular tool company, uses all TEFC motors on their tools. I think a lot of people are extending their doing that to the thought "TEFC motors are always better". Not really true, though. My personal opinion is that Jet uses all TEFCs to cut down on the number of different motors to inventory.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X