X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designing new basement shop

My wife is lobbying to have an addition put on our house and it occurred to me that this might be a good time to extort, I mean negotiate to get a dedicated shop for myself. I would have the basement under the addition built to maximize it's usefulness as a dedicated shop.

If you were building a basement shop from scratch, what would you do? On my list already are: extra ceiling height to accmodate moving sheet stock and to leave room for some soundproofing and a large door to the outside.

I am particularly interested in ideas for containing noise and dust. Thanks

Re: Designing new basement shop

Since it is an addition the is no reason to make the 'new' basement part of the old. You could make your own space with its own heat and ventilation.
    The best way to heat would be radiant floor so there is no wind to blow dust around and settle on your finishing area. If you run heat, water and power from the old basement seal the holds with expanding foam and tape all the heat joints with metal duct tape (not the cloth stuff). If you enclose the ceiling with insulation and drywall that will keep the noise and dust in your room

Comment

Re: Designing new basement shop

I did this years ago in a Home that I owned at the time. I added a 16' X 16' sun room addition with a basement under. Your addition may be larger but some of these ideas may be adaptable to your project.

I used 2 X 10 for the floor joists and 3/4 tongue and groove ply for flooring. I calculated the foundation height so that the first floor would be level with the existing house floor. I dropped the foundation footing enough to provide adaquate overhead. This made a 1/2 step down from the existing basement floor. (if you drop the footing too much you may want to somehow reinforce the existing house footing so that it doesn't shift). The 2 X 10's for the 16 foot span allowed for no center beam or columns. (You could also use engineered wooden I Beams in place of the 2 by)

I installed a Bilco door to the outside in the foundation. Great for moving stock in and out and getting myself in/out without tracking dirt through the house when doing yard work. I added a filled flush door at the bottom of this entry to keep out some of the cold in the winter. I had window openings added to the poured foundation for light and cross ventilation. (I later replaced one of the glass panels with a fan and self opening louver panel).

I rented an electric jackhammer and spent two days cutting an opening in the house foundation to connect with the existing basement utility room (I have never been so sore in my life). I boxed in the jagged concrete edges with 3/4 ply and installed a door to reduce dust/noise from the main basement. Instead of jackhammering you could have the concrete sawn, neater but pricey

I installed a few additional electrical circuits from the service box in the utility room. I installed short pieces of plastic conduit on top of the foundation as anti-chafing in a small opening in the original house sill and ran the wiring through these and packed the openings with insulation.

For heat, I used an electric baseboard heater.

I built a bench along one 16' wall and a lumber rack along the opposite wall. The remaining short walls (with the two door openings) was used for my radial arm saw and storage shelving.

Good luck on your project

Bill

Comment

Working...
      X