X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridgid vac adapter?

I have a small ridgid vac and I was looking at the adapter at home depot the other day and I was wondering how well it works. I want to hook it to my sander and planer when I am using either one of those tools but right now I have to tape it to stay on. Has anyone ever used the ridgid adapters before? how well do they work? It looked like there was a lot of different sizes on the adapter I am sure one of them would work. Thanks for the help.

Re: ridgid vac adapter?

Are you looking at this adaptor? Please see picture.
    Attached Files

Comment

Your small shop vac will work well with your sander but not so well with the planer. A small shop vac, and even many larger ones, just don't move enough air to quickly remove the chips from a planer. This causes the chips to build up and clog the planers dust port.

The adapter that Woussko pictured will work just fine and is a excellent way to transition from a larger hose down to a more manageable smaller size hose.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would agree. Chips from the planer will fill the canister several times and you'll end up dumping more than planing.

DAN

Comment

I totally agree with the man in badger country and with dmule1. When there are loads of chips, you need a real collector.

For what it's worth people may want to look here for adaptors. There are several choices. HD and Lowes normally have most of them in stock, but if not you can buy directly from the web site.
          http://www.shopvac.com/dept.asp?id=14

Sure not the best, but this looks like it would be handy around a home woodworking shop. It might be worth looking at. Because of the design, I'm pretty sure this one really howls when running. (High speed fan like an electric leaf blower) The good thing is that it's pretty easy to move around. 4" ID by 12 foot long hose
          http://www.shopvac.com/vacs/detail.a...rview&StoreID=

Note: Please see the $$$ in above post. No way is it worth that much. (This part added)
          Last edited by Woussko; 02-19-2007, 08:00 PM.

Comment

$310.25 at mytoolstore, ! A person could buy 2 Harbor Freight DC's for that.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave

Thanks for the pricing info. That's waaaaaaaay to much $$$ for that POC. You're correct about getting 2 from HF and they don't make so much noise. I should have priced them first.

Comment

I have the 4.5 gal pro-pack wet/dry and I use it all the time for dust collection hooked up to my RO sander, belt sander and miter saw. It works great. I got the 1-1/4 hose from HD which is easier to manipulate when sanding stationary objects and I also got the adapter picture above by woussko. I only needed the adapter for the miter saw it turned out--the 1-1/4" hose fits either inside or outside my sanders' outlets. Anyway, I highly recommend the set up, just be sure to dump and clear your filter often, and I mean really often, at very least every three days for me. With the small size the dust will pile up around the filter pretty quick. For me it's well worth the extra filter work for the portability and space saving. I was considering the pantyhose or filter bag solutions others have used, but the filter is up to it's neck in dust so fast it would need a lot of attention anyway.
                A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. The picture woussko put on is the adapter I was looking at. I was just questioning how well the connection was. I was also wondering what the holes on the outer corners were for? It sounds like there are a few guys that like them so I will try one out. I have already used the vac with my planer and it worked but only because the planer has a fan which blows the chips out and the vac gets full fast but its better than the big mess on everything else. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X