X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitachi Cordless Tools???

OK, Kinda late know, but anyone have any experience with the Hitachi Cordless tools? Got the 3 piece 14.4v set for Christmas. Drill, Saw and Light.

I stopped by Lowes on my way to work this morning and saw the set. It had two prices marked $199 and $139 with a $20 gift card.

The Tool Crib guy said the saw takes both the 14v and 18v batteries, but the drill only took 14v.

Just wondering.

Look at the instruction book---it probably says Hitachi Koki. That is the less expensive---and less tough/strong line of Hitachi tools. I have a 14.4v drill/light combo that is fine for around the house---but is almost useless on remodeling work. the light is neat---head swivels and stays in position.
    Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

Comment

Took it out of the box last night and played around with it. I like the drill, the saw might be better with a 18v battery. I'll probably get one off e-bay and try it. Don't really have a use for the light right now, but I do like the swivel handle thing.

I'm going to try to concentrate on building some fun projects this year, but I think I said that last year also.

Comment

I would like to raise this thread from the dead.

I am contemplating getting a Hitachi-Koki cordless combo kit, as we are buying a new house which needs tons of reno's, new deck, finish basement,etc. The price of the hitachi kit is only slightly more than the similar ryobi one. But offers 400in.lb. of torque versus the 330 of the Ryobi drill.

The one nice thing about the ryobi kit, is if I want a biscuit joiner, grinder, etc. down the road, I can just walk into a HD and buy it. Other manufacter's not so easy to do. Though, the combo kits have pretty much all I care about for cordless tools, so I really just want good quality, without contracter-tool prices.

Obviously a Bosch, Ridgid, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita combo kit would be a lot better, but which would be the best for an avid do-it-your-selfer, not-quite-contracter. Is there a better brand than Hitachi for me? in the similar price range.

Thanks,
        ~S

Comment

While I own several Ryobi tools and have had excellent experience with them, all of mine are "corded". There seems to be a lot of posting regarding battery and charger failures (not just with Ryobi) and until recently I've shyed away from any cordless.

However, since Ridgid has announced thier "limited lifetime service agreement", which includes batteries and chargers, I bought my first couple of cordless tools. They function well for me and I'm now less concerned about having the high cost of failures and replacements.

Of course they cost more, but I figure over time I'll make up for that with battery replacements. Still, for most around the home use, I like "corded" tools; but, that's what i grew up with. I figure if I have to set up for a major project, then the cord isn't so much a problem. Of course the convenience of cordless for those occasional fix-its or for those tight spots like screwing the shelving in the closet... well, no contest; cordless of course!

CWS

Comment

Hey, the good thing about cords is you can use them to keep everyone out of your way.

"Watch where you're going there, don't you see that cord on the floor? That's a trip hazard...stay back behind the yellow safety barrier tape please!! "

or something like that ought to work

Plus, you can show off your cord coiling skills. Of course, if you can't coil up an extension cord w/o looking like one of the three stooges, maybe you're better off with cordless.

Seriously though, I too like CWS was raised on corded tools, but I like my cordless drills very much. It is much easier to grab that cordless drill and go to work than to be stringing out and tripping over cords.

Unless I need the chuck capacity or power my corded drill has, it sits unhappily on the shelf ignored, but when a big job comes along that my wimpy 3/8" Ryobi drill can't handle, Big Red (Milwaukee Magnum 1/2" Holeshooter) springs to life strutting its stuff.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 01-10-2006, 09:02 AM.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

really the only tool other than the drill I am excited about being cordless is the sawzall. I alread have a few spots in mind for it. Usually when you need a sawzall, it is for one or two oddball cuts, and the cuts just can't be done in a workshop. For 1 or 2 cuts, it would be nice not to run an extension cord. The saw could be said about the circular saw, but IMHO anytime a cordless circular saw is needed, a hand saw would be just as good, anything bigger, and a cord should be used. As for the flashlight, camping would be the only time I use it, I prefer a headlamp, and spotlights for working.

The thing is, by the time I buy a sawzall, and the drill kit, the 3pc combo (regardless of brand), starts to look pretty good. I really like the 14.4 v size and weight, but nobody makes a 14.4 sawzall (that I can find), although they do make 14.4 circulars.

~S

Comment

Working...
              X