X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plunge router bits

I am considering buying the new ridgid combo router set. I have my old craftsman 1 1/2 HP fixed router and router table but I have never used a plunge router (done a little "plunge routing" with mine with mixed results). I understand that plunge routers should use a special type bit with cutting flutes to start the "plunge" What type of bits are you all (redneck heritage showing..LOL) using? What brands would you recommend? My searches here and on google don't give me much detail jon this just general router bits. Thanks ,
    Ray

Re: plunge router bits

Upcut and downcut spiral bits might be what you're talking about. I'm making a little tray out of solid maple, and have been using my plunge router with a straight-cut router bit. It's not the best, but it does work if you go REAL slow and don't take much off w/each pass. I *should* be using an upcut spiral bit for this work, but I don't have one!! You can use just about any router bit in a plunge router, as long as it doesn't have a bearing on it. At least, not a top-bearing bit if you're going to be plunging in!!!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

ragermack -
      Before you buy router bits, whatever type, this thread might be helpful in your choice of brand: Click Me
      - djb
      sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Thank you both. The info is very helpful. I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by ragermack View Post
          I am considering buying the new ridgid combo router set. I have my old craftsman 1 1/2 HP fixed router and router table but I have never used a plunge router (done a little "plunge routing" with mine with mixed results). I understand that plunge routers should use a special type bit with cutting flutes to start the "plunge" What type of bits are you all (redneck heritage showing..LOL) using? What brands would you recommend? My searches here and on google don't give me much detail jon this just general router bits. Thanks ,
          Ray
          Go on Ebay, I bought a bunch of Porter Cable and Bosch bits all new for between 5.00 and 8.00 bucks. I use staright flute mostly but there is spiral up and spiral down/ They all end up doing the same things.
          Carpenters make the prettiest firewood

Comment

Working...
          X