X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lumber quality

Question: What do you get when you buy two pieces of lumber at your local home center that's not warped, cupped, twisted, bowed, or split? Answer: I don't know. It's never happened to me. Is it just me or has the general quality of lumber dropped over time. I've always had to look close but it seems to be getting harder to find "good stuff" as Dave Arbuckle called in in another thread. I completed a fairly large deck expansion last Spring and ended up returning at least 30% of the wood for replacement. I recently had trouble just finding a suitalbe piece of 1X to make some extra fences for my RAS. When I ask the folks in sales about it they just laugh and agree. Most of my wood working friends agree also. I wouldn't mind paying a little more if I could get what I wanted. Even some of the stuff they called "premium" was NOT. I know this is an age old complaint but it seems to be getting worse. Is it too much to ask that my fire wood be straight and true?

You have some good lumber suppliers in the Atlanta area. I don't know who they are, being quite a few miles away, but I know people in Atlanta. The Big Box ain't gonna be one of them.

If you don't get any pointers to the good stuff here, drop me an e-mail. I'll be sure you get hooked up. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Honestly, I have found a few good sources for "fine" wood working projects. There also is a good source locally for reclaimed "heart pine" which can be difficult to find if anyone is interested. I was ranting more about general construction lumber and dimension lumber for around the home projects. The Atlanta area is also fortunate to have a great local source for comparing numerous tools under one roof and getting "expert" advice as well as many workshops and seminars at Highland Hardware. They also have a website and do a big mail order business. They may not be the least expensive but they do have a large inventory and are generally good any knowledgeable folks to talk with.

BTW: I used to live near Dallas also. I always loved to use mesquite in the grill. Can you do much with it in the wood shop? If I remember right, it was pretty tuff stuff. That was before I was doing very much in woodworking.

Thanks,
      Wood Dog

Comment

Mesquite is prized as a furniture wood in some circles. It has its' problems, high cost and low availability being high on the list.

This fellow (picked rather at random from a yahoo search) has beautiful pieces: http://www.texmes.com/

Dave

Comment

Dave,

Those are some beautiful pieces. Now I'm starting to feel guilty for burning so much of it. If I keep thinking about Texas I'll be looking for cold Lone Star and a juke box with Bob Wills tunes.

Thanks again,
          Wood Dog

Comment

Perhaps the availability of lumber in your area is somehow related to the softwood lumber embargo going on between USA and Canada?

.......alphonse [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I can relate to the quality of lumber. but its not just big boxs, but local lumberyard too.

On a side note, The 2x4s HD had this weekend were good quality, most were very straight and had a limited number of knots. Normally I have to search for a while to find 10 good 2bys, but I was able to pull 10 or 12 right off the pile and they were all good, hmmmm.

Comment

Bonjour Alphonse

Ca va?

I'm sure the 1996 SLA has had an impact, especially on the availability of quality 2X4 and 2x6 lumber. Canada's climate in those logging regions tend to produce slower growth timber that tends to warp less. Our Southern yellow pine is generally larger and more suitable to joists and rafter building as well as for PT applications. It would be to the consumer's advantage to have free access to both. Interestingly, even though the US is a net importer of lumber and timber products, we acually export timber in the $1billion range annually.

And now we're in a battle over your tomatos. Where's the love?

bonne journee
                Wood Dog

Comment

Atlanta Wood Products is the way to go.
                  I admit to still buying a fair amount of red oak at the Depot just to avoid the drive, but I would much rather go to Atlanta Wood Products.

As far as 2x and the pine at the Depot, I don't think any of that is dried so you have to expect it to distort as it ages.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wood Dog:
                    Question: What do you get when you buy two pieces of lumber at your local home center that's not warped, cupped, twisted, bowed, or split? Answer: I don't know. It's never happened to me. Is it just me or has the general quality of lumber dropped over time. I've always had to look close but it seems to be getting harder to find "good stuff" as Dave Arbuckle called in in another thread. I completed a fairly large deck expansion last Spring and ended up returning at least 30% of the wood for replacement. I recently had trouble just finding a suitalbe piece of 1X to make some extra fences for my RAS. When I ask the folks in sales about it they just laugh and agree. Most of my wood working friends agree also. I wouldn't mind paying a little more if I could get what I wanted. Even some of the stuff they called "premium" was NOT. I know this is an age old complaint but it seems to be getting worse. Is it too much to ask that my fire wood be straight and true?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Working...
                    X