surface rust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surface rust

I own a 3650 table saw and have some surface rust on the table, how do i rid myself of this problem

Re: surface rust

omg it's rust!!!! ahhh just clean of the top with some steel wool then aply a few coats paste wax
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

You also have to make a sacrifice to the rust gods.

A small piece of cast iron and a drop of blood from one of
      your fingers is all that they require for the first offense.

Just don't let it happen again
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
        omg it's rust!!!! ahhh just clean of the top with some steel wool then aply a few coats paste wax
        Wouldn't steel wool scratch the surface. Perhaps the Scotch brite stuff would work better.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgg View Post
          Wouldn't steel wool scratch the surface. Perhaps the Scotch brite stuff would work better.
          Not really, just make sure to scrub in the direction the top is machined. WD40+steel wool works very well for me. I also tried Boeshield T-9 as someone here recommended and it worked awesome on the cast iron table of my jointer. You can get it at Sears. Its a little expensive but well worth it. Comes in two bottles, a rust remover and the lubricant/protectant which does a really great job of holding back the rust.

Comment

If the rust is really bad, which I have had in a few places but not anymore, I ues 220 grit sand paper on my random orbital sander, then hit it with WD40 and 00 steel wool then finally with 0000 steel wool. Cleaned the oil off the top and put 3 coats of Johnsons Paste Wax on, buffing in between coats. I now have a slick mirror table top to my TS3650 table saw.

Comment

Working...
            X