X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter Joint Question

I have a small problem with 45 degree miters. I mitered 1 flat board with the saw in the right 45 degree slot. Mitered a second board in the left 45 degree slot. I then took the boards to a flat surface and put them together. A perfect 90 degrees. But on closer inspection I noticed a small gap in the center of the miter joint. Out side corners touch as well as the inside corners. I do not understand how this can happen. I will put a new blade on tonight and try again. Does anyone have any suggestion on what is happening and how to fix this problem. By the way the gap is less than a 1/16".
    threefinger

Re: Miter Joint Question

I love your name! Hope it's not a reality!!

Did you cut the miter on a miter saw or table saw?

If on the table saw, did you run the board down the fence when you cut it or use the miter guage?
    If you ran then on the fence, it's possible that one board lifted slightly when you were pushing it through. If you used the miter guage, it may be just a tad sloopy in the table slot. When I got my new Jet saw, my miter guage had just enough play to be noticable. I used an old mechanic trick and used a sharp punch and staked one side of the miter guage until it fit just perfectly in the groove. I staked one side all the way down the length of it, probably 10 or so "dinks" and it was fine.

Did you sight down the edge of each miter after they were cut? It's also possible that the board/s have a very slight warp or cup to them too. (todays plywood sucks!)

I'm building a big Cherry home office for a customer now and have 11 angled cabinets. Each one has a 22 1/2 degree edge on the face frame. Some of the cabinets are 60" tall. Thats one long miter and it has to be dead on or they won't pull together right. It took some real straight wood and lots of carefull cutting to get it right. I got done pre-assembling it all today and everything fit!!! Whooo Hooo! LOL Now it's time for stain and finish.
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

I agree with The Wood Meister, I will get the same effect with warped or cupped boards, or even a slight vibration in your saw blade.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. This was mitered on a Dewalt DW 715 miter saw. I now have a project in the shop tonight. Any thing to try suggested by You guys will be tried. By the way about 3 years ago I was almost a true threefinger. Even have a saw kerf in my bone. My wife was very proud of me, HA.
        threefinger

Comment

Id say your boards are cupped also. If everything is inside now let the wood acclimate first. Joint the boards flat and try again.

Comment

Good advice guys. I changed blades, flat lumber,took my time. A very nice gap free joint. Thanks again. What a resorce this forum is.
            threefinger

Comment

I'm glad we could be of assistance, and your problems are fixed. Wished everyone of my problems would get corrected so easily. lol...
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                I'm glad we could be of assistance, and your problems are fixed. Wished everyone of my problems would get corrected so easily. lol...
                ME TO. I got good advice and used it!!!!!!! By the way, picked up a Ridgid MSUV this morning ($99.00) ,Very nice.
                threefinger

Comment

Working...
                X