X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weekend projects

well, i finally completed them today after a lengthy process ...

the lumber racks were modified from a 'stud mount only' design. since my garage is finished, i sort of improvised. i put in 3 of these lumber racks (to store plywood and other long pieces) over my cut-off scrap bin. add in a few hooks and viola i have a pipe clamp rack.

the bench is finally complete (well phase 1). it has a laminated 2 x 4 top and the base is 2x's as well. it's pretty sturdy and it weighs a ton. my phase two is to add a cabinet and two drawers.

i am interested in putting a protecting finish on the bench top, what would be the best way to do this? i'd like the finish to be pretty tough and still look fairly nice. any hep would be appreciated.

eric
    Attached Files

Re: weekend projects

I like to use shellac on work surfaces since it's quick drying, non-toxic, and a hard finish.
    Have you considered installing casters on that bench for mobility?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyFishNC View Post
      i am interested in putting a protecting finish on the bench top, what would be the best way to do this? i'd like the finish to be pretty tough and still look fairly nice. any hep would be appreciated.

eric

Fly,

I was concerned about finishing my work bench too, but decided not to. No matter how careful you are it's going to get nicked, scratched, stained and everything in between. Just some thought. Happy dustmaking.
      If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I am gonna put a poly on the legs and sides of my bench
        and thinking on leaving the top alone.which would leave the
        top surface free and easy for an occasional re-sanding when
        needed. Hey.... It's a workbench right.

Comment

get a sheet or two of 1/8" clear plexi glass to cover the top. nice thing about it is wood glue doesn't stick to it and stain wipes off. i leand this trick working in a sign shop years ago.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Just a question...what about laminate for a workshop top? Would it be too slippery? I've got some leftover from another job (a good bit...bought it on a return for a real good price, but had to buy the whole roll), and was thinking of using it for a workbench top.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

If you're trying to protect the work top, you can tack down a sheet of 1/8" Tempered Hardboard the same size as your top. It makes for a very hard and durable work surface and you can easily replace with a new piece after it's really worn out...

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                Just a question...what about laminate for a workshop top? Would it be too slippery? I've got some leftover from another job (a good bit...bought it on a return for a real good price, but had to buy the whole roll), and was thinking of using it for a workbench top.
                I've seen that done before. You probably want to build up a couple layers, or use plywood under it, and finish it off with some solid wood (poplar is a good choice) edging.

Comment

I've used the tempered Masonite for a lot of years. It does stain and attract glue but is easily replaceable.

I have been considering using some laminate flooring as my next top. I have a brad nailer to fasten it so that it can be pulled off when replacement is necessary. The stuff is pretty durable and should resist glue and stains.

Has anyone done this or have some thoughts?

Comment

I have laminate on one of my benches but its upside down, about 15 years ago I had it right side up but it was way to slippery. Glue sticks to it, but I can scrape it off very easily, and it does stain, what the heck its just a bench not a fashion show, lol... It does take quit a beating and lasts along time. I like Billmoy's answer, I think next bench surface I redo will have tempered Masonite on top, sounds like the winner to me.
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I forgot the whole intro to my first post! FlyFishNC, the storage rack looks great!! Good idea for the clamp storage. I also like the workbench. Nice work!

I'll look into the tempered hardboard. Thanks for the info!!
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Question??? Can Masonite hardboard be glued to ply like laminate with contact cement. Also how hard do you think it would be to replace when wear shows need replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryD View Post
                          Question??? Can Masonite hardboard be glued to ply like laminate with contact cement. Also how hard do you think it would be to replace when wear shows need replacing.

It can be glued down with contact cement, but I like to tack it down with brads so it can be replaced easily when the time comes...

Comment

Working...
                          X