X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sawdust

Ok everyone what do you do with your saw dust? I have a pile in the field 1/2 block away, which I add dirt to it (compost) then I put it in the garden (wait 1 year) in spring time. However I put the saw dust in big boxes during winter (outside) untill I can start a new pile in the spring. By that time everything ways a ton, the box just crumbles, so then the wheel barrow comes out, and it takes up so much room in my back yard.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: sawdust

I just put mine out with the garbage.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Right now I live in the 'burbs and it goes in the trash. When we move back out in the country (I'm looking forward to that...) I'll probably throw it in a pile somewhere and/or use it for fill.

- djb
      sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

If it's clean stuff, without any toxic sawdust, I'll add it to compost after baggin it during the winter. I use the plastic bags that came with my dust collector to keep it in. Since everything I have is contaminated with black walnut dust, I'll have to give it all to the trash collector! Don't ever use black walnut around plants. Also, if you're doing any kind of sawdust-generating work with it, make sure you use a mask and have a good dust collection system.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I like to keep a little around in a bucket to use it as an absorbent.
          incase I have a small oil spill when changing oil in my lawn tractor,
          Lawnmower or snow blower.
          It also works great on those days I am just lazing around the shop and the
          wife wants me work on a honey do’s.
          Just before she comes into the shop to ask for the honey do, ..I sprinkle
          a little saw dust on my hair and shoulders, Look haggardly (But lovingly) at her and say.
          sorry dear, I’m right in the middle of an important critical cut right now!
          Last edited by Davet; 02-25-2007, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Garager: If you lived a little closer, I would come and get it. My LOL has a path that winds through the woods and I am constantly coating it with sawdust and woodchips. She plants her flowers along the path while I go fishing. And the deer like the trail marked so they can find the flowers to eat!!!
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Davet View Post
              It also works great on those days I am just lazing around the shop and the
              wife wants me work on a honey do’s.
              Just before she comes into the shop to ask for the honey do, ..I sprinkle
              a little saw dust on my hair and shoulders, Look haggardly (But lovingly) at her and say.
              sorry dear, I’m right in the middle of an important critical cut right now!
              i like that one
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I do the same as Badger, out with the trash.
                If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I keep a little in a tightly closed plastic trash bag on my porch for the "just in case" mess. The rest goes out with the trash in trash bags. Most of the time it's mixed with chips and other shop waste.

Comment

It goes in the trash can or customers trash can if working at a job site...

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                      If it's clean stuff, without any toxic sawdust, I'll add it to compost after baggin it during the winter. I use the plastic bags that came with my dust collector to keep it in. Since everything I have is contaminated with black walnut dust, I'll have to give it all to the trash collector! Don't ever use black walnut around plants. Also, if you're doing any kind of sawdust-generating work with it, make sure you use a mask and have a good dust collection system.
                      I love black walnut, great wood. Whats up with only walnut?
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

If anybody lives close to a brick factory, they use sawdust mixed with clay to make bricks. I doubt if they would buy small amounts, but they would probably take them for free.

Comment

Garager, my love of black walnut isn't hampered by it's toxicity! I have a good amount of rough bw and I make lots of sawdust with it. The problem is it's really toxic. I don't know if you've ever noticed, but there's never much undergrowth around a black walnut tree. The walnut husks are filled with the toxin. They fall to the ground and rot, releasing the toxin to keep other plants away while they germinate. Unfortunately, the wood itself contains a good amount of that same plant toxin. I'm sure it's not good for the lungs, either! It's just not a good sawdust to use for around plants. For a walkway...perfect!! It'll keep the grass and weeds out!
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sandy

Ever get the black glop from inside the nuts on a rag and then try to wash it? I used to have a black walnut in my yard and when it finally died and was removed that was a day of joy. No more *&^%$ walnuts to deal with. No more branches all over every time the wind blew. That &^%$# tree was a mess. Yes, I like the wood from the trunk, but try to find a sawmill willing to saw it. Sadly this tree ended up in some landfill somewhere that the tree company was able to dump it in. The county dump will not take any kind of walnut wood or the nuts. We had to sneek the walnuts in bags full of trash to get rid of them.

Comment

I may be wrong, but as I understand black Walnut is not among the worst in terms of saw dust. At least according to the report done by
                              U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services. National Toxicology Program; check
                              the following link:

http://www.houseoftools.com/content/...n/WoodDust.htm

According to this table, for example, Maple is far worse that Walnut, and my experience (having worked with both) tells the same. Inhaling Maple saw dust
                              is far more troubling that Walnut (and this is more common). Not that I suggest use the dust/chips of either as fertilizer.

Comment

Working...
                              X