Advise wanted - Ridgid overhead planer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise wanted - Ridgid overhead planer

Looking to pick-up a new planer, but am on the fence between the Dewalt DW735, Ridgid TP1300LS , or the Ryobi AP13. I know this is a Ridgid forum, so there might be some bias towards Ridgid. But, I was hoping to get some solid reasons for picking one (if it's the Ridgid, great), but am looking for any feedback ........ positive or negative.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Advise wanted - Ridgid overhead planer

I have the Ridgid and have never used any other so my advice is extremely limited. Ridgid offers a lifetime service warranty, not sure if Dewalt or Ryobi does. I've not had any problems with mine and I bought it reconditioned.
    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

The only one I've used is the Dewalt 734 and it is a great planer.

Comment

Originally posted by Nycegy73 View Post
        Looking to pick-up a new planer, but am on the fence between the Dewalt DW735, Ridgid TP1300LS , or the Ryobi AP13. I know this is a Ridgid forum, so there might be some bias towards Ridgid. But, I was hoping to get some solid reasons for picking one (if it's the Ridgid, great), but am looking for any feedback ........ positive or negative.

Thanks in advance!
        Dewalt or Ridgid are both good, one thign you may want to look at is ignoring the height asjustment scale and installing a Wixey digital scale. For 50.00 you cannot go wrong. www.wixey.com
        Once setup its dead on the money
        Carpenters make the prettiest firewood

Comment

I just purchased the Ridgid, and the thing that sent me that way was that the Ridgid includes the stand, outfeed tables, dust collector attachment, and an extra set of blades. I believe that DeWalt charges extra for these. The reveiws on performance were very similar, and with the Ridgid being about $200 cheaper and including all these extras, it was an easy choice for me. I am very happy with the performance of the Ridgid, but from what I've read, they are both great planers. Best of luck!

Comment

Hey jfacteau, thanks the link to the Wixey site. Never thought about going digital, but I might now!!

Thanks for all the advise!!

Comment

Magazine reviews shouldn't be taken as gospel but WOOD Magazine recently reviewed 9 of the most popular benchtop planers. The DeWalt DW735 scored the highest overall for performance. The Ridgid TP1300LS also scored highly on performance points and overall value. The Ryobi AP1301 was at the bottom of the list as far as performance was concerned but was rated a Top Value solely based on its price, which adds credence to my observation that magazine reviews aren't all that credible.
              Last edited by BadgerDave; 02-28-2007, 12:47 PM.
              ================================================== ====
              All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

The older Ryobi 1300 was a decent, low cost planer that had some good things said about it. The 1301 however, has been cheaped-down considerably, and is lacking some of the key features of the 1300. Mainly, there is no infeed or outfeed tables.

The Ridgid is a solid unit and has a good following. I can't recall reading any negatives about it, and you certainly can't beat the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement or the 90-day Satisfaction Guarantee. (You need to register the tool to get the LLSA.)

From what I've read, the DeWalt is a more modern design, costs a bit more, but offer 2-speeds and three-cutting blades. The latter may or may not be a good feature, depending on your point of view (more cutting edges [good], but higher replacement cost [not so good]).

Both the DeWalt and Ridgid are very popular.

CWS

Comment

I looked long and hard at the DeWalt vs. the Ridgid, and also considered the Delta 22-580.

The thing that killed it for me with the DeWalt was the widespread opinion that the blades were junk. AND, they're expensive. The two speeds, which both the DeWalt and the Delta have, seemed like a nice feature. But many reviews indicated the Ridgid resulted in a very nice finish at its single speed.

The clinchers for me were the extras (nice, stable stand AND an extra set of blades), the price ($100 cheaper than DeWalt, about $30 cheaper than Delta), and the lifetime service warranty. Also, the DeWalt doesn't come with in or outfeed tables! You have to buy those separately.

I have been really happy with the Ridgid planer. It's easy to use, has a slew of repeatable settings, provides a very good to excellent finish (I'd equate it to about 150-180 grit sanding, most of the time), and is a very solid machine. The cutter lock mechanism works well, and I rarely, if ever get snipe (make sure your outfeed table is adjust a smidge above the table height). Dust / chip collection is good to very good, and allows for either a 4" connection, or a 2.5" shop-vac unit (which is great, because that's what I use).

The only thing I don't like is that the chip chute blocks the outfeed table from folding up, *unless* you crank the cutter head all the way up.

Track down a 10% off coupon for HD and sweeten the deal a little more. ;-)

Compare that to this price for a comparably equipped DeWalt (planer, extra blades, outfeed tables, and stand) $709!
                  http://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-DW735P-...3217374&sr=8-9

With 10% off, you'll spend almost exactly half of that by buying the Ridgid package.
                  Last edited by Wood_Junkie; 03-06-2007, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X