Binding on drill press

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binding on drill press

I bought a Ridgid floor-model drill press several months ago, and I've been very happy with it, except for one slightly annoying problem.

When I set the depth-stop, something is putting a drag either on the quill or on the quill travel mechanism - enough to overcome the tension of the return spring, so that it's necessary to manually retract the quill. This doesn't require much force - gentle push against one of the handles with a couple of fingers is sufficient - but I'd like to fix this.

Before I try to take the mechanism apart, has anyone else encountered this who has any advice?

Thanks.

Re: Binding on drill press

Is the quill rust free and have you tried cleaning the quill tube with WD40 and steel wool to free it up? Have you loosened the depth scale screw? If the drill has been sitting around for a while it doesn't take much surface rust to gum up the works. If nothing else you might have to adjust the feed spring tension...
    Last edited by Newman; 03-01-2007, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Most drill presses have the return spring set up to be adjustable. Ck your owners manual for that adjustment. It may take just a tweek on the spring tension to overcome the problem.

Mark
      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
        Is the quill rust free and have you tried cleaning the quill tube with WD40 and steel wool to free it up? Have you loosened the depth scale screw? If the drill has been sitting around for a while it doesn't take much surface rust to gum up the works. If nothing else you might have to adjust the feed spring tension...
        Might have to adjust the spring tension as this displayed this behavior right out of the box. And it hasn't been "sitting around" for much more than a week wiithout use since I got it!

To clean the Quill Tube - from the diagrams looks like I'd need to remove the nut at the top of the quill column? There isn't much in the way of instructions - just an exploded diagram.

Comment

Working...
        X