Dado stack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado stack

Recently purchased a RIDGID 2412 and was thinking about buying a dado stack. I've heard good things about Freud SD206 and Freud SD508. Is the only difference between the 2, the diameter size? What applications will the SD508 allow me to do (or allow me to do easier) that the SD206 won't? I'm new to woodworking so forgive the noobish questions.

Re: Dado stack

Quick easy non complicated answer..........the SD500 Series dado sets will produce a nicer cut than the SD200 Series dado sets. The SD500 Series also comes with a 3/32" chipper blade that the SD200 Series doesn't have. If you can afford the SD500 I'd go that route but you wouldn't be disappointed with the SD200 Series either.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I have and use the SD208 and have had no regrets with it. Then again I have never used the SD500 so I can't comment on it.

Comment

I Have The 208 Series And It Will Last Me The Rest Of My Life.. The 508 Is Just A Waste Of Money!!

Comment

I Bought It At Lowes For 95 Dollars Minus A 20 Percent Off Home Depot Coupon, I Walked Out For 73 Dollars .. Sweetheart Deal!!

Comment

The freud super dado (SD508) is on sale @ Amazon for 127.99 after discounts and super saver shipping. Mine shipped today. Quite a bit off the 199 regular price.
            Ern

Comment

The SD508 is an 8" dado with 24-tooth cutters and 4-tooth chippers. The SD206 is a 6" dado with 12-tooth cutters and 2-tooth chippers. There is a reciprical SD506 and SD208 as well. The SD500's have twice the teeth of the SD200's, so they cut smoother as Dave mentioned.

Aside from cut quality, a 6" dado is easier for the saw to spin but won't cut as deeply. However it's rare that you'll need a dado deeper than 1".

Last spring I swapped my SD208 for a DeWalt DW7670 and have been very happy with it....it has twice as many teeth as the 208 and makes a cleaner cut because of that. But if you can get an SD508 for < $130, I'd do it and never look back. If not, I'd consider the 7670 over the 208. Neither are a waste of money IMO if you want cleaner cuts, plus they'll stay sharp longer. It really depends on your needs and what you'll be using it on.

http://www.epinions.com/DW7670
              Last edited by hewood; 03-03-2007, 07:35 AM.

Comment

If you need a cleaner cut than what the 508 can produce then why not use a speedmatic 7518 with a 1/2 inch straight cut spiral flute bit ... 708 is overkill in my opinion...

Comment

Working...
                X