boiled linseed oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boiled linseed oil

I am new to wood working. I know a little. I want to finish a table I built. I want to use a boiled linseed oil and tung oil mixture. Any Advice? Do I need to seal with shellac first? Do you seal it with poly? Any info will be helpful
    Last edited by ole forester; 03-01-2007, 12:08 PM. Reason: missed spelled word

Re: boiled linseed oil

I believe the order is to apply the linseed+tongue oil first. Apply a few coats, sanding with a scotchbrite pad or 1000grit steel wool in between. If you use the steel wool, you will have to vacuum and wipe the tiny steel wool bits off before applying the next coat. You probably wouldn't need more than 2 coats. Then (after sanding the final coat), apply the poly. I'd probably do 2-3 thin coats of poly with the same sanding technique in between them.

The caveat in the method I describe is that I've never used boiled linseed oil. I only use tongue oil. In my personal experience, I like the look of the tongue oil finish, and have never seen the reason to use linseed oil. It's merely a personal preference. These are the kinds of things that makes each piece so individual!!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have used poly a lot. I just thought I would do something different.

Comment

I'm positive you want to apply the poly last. None of the other finishes are going to penetrate the poly, but the poly will sit just fine on top of the oil finish. You'll want to leave at LEAST 12 hours of dry time after applying the last of the oil finishes before you sand and start applying poly. I kinda forgot to mention that the oil finish is going to have to setup and dry completely before you hit it with any sealer on top. For a thin coat of the oil to dry at 65degrees F and above with a 50% humidity level, it'll take at least 12 hours.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Ole Forester-

I often use equal volumes of BLO, Tung & Poly as a mixture. I will typically seal with a 1# cut of shellac.

Two points:
          Use 100% Tung oil.
          Don't apply this finish inside of drawers, You may never get the smell out.

Welcome to the Forum

Comment

Working...
          X