X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amazon $47.49 - 2 1/4 HP Router Kit With 3 Bases

Still waiting for the first test run!!! Let us know!

Mark
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
      Still waiting for the first test run!!! Let us know!

Mark
      The Holbren bits were mailed from Jacksonville, FLA on the 8th. The tracking shows they made it to Denver. Should be here soon.

Honestly, I'm thinking of selling it

There have been so many posts of the dangers of a carbide bit spinning out of control at 20K RPM that I don't know what to do. Anyway, unless something was totally out of whack, I wouldn't be the person to review the machine. I've never owned a router before.
      You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Comment

Originally posted by fkaufman View Post
        My concern with high speed, handheld tools is safety. Routerbits are of particular concern.
        I hear ya...but have a look at this thread and give some feedback (probably at that thread, not this one).

- djb
        sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

While I was tightening a slot cutter bit in the GMC, the plate/ring that covers the button to lock the shaft cracked.

Amazon is taking it back and refunding my money.

I'm looking at the Hitachi which is on sale for $121.00:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-KM12VC...6333334&sr=8-1

But I went to the BORG and really like the PC895

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-8...6333371&sr=1-1

I can get it refurbished from CPO for about $210.00 plus shipping

Comment

Originally posted by Hooligan View Post
            Just to say, I needed to buy three mountain bikes as Xmas presents for me, my wife and my 11 year old daughter. Don't know if anyone has checked the prices in the local bike shops today, but I buy cars for what they wan't for bikes these days. Three and 4 thousand dollars is mid level.

I stumbled upon this:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000E3YYJG

Side note - The 2007's are about to ship and the above is what I got for my wife - the 19" that I got for myself isn't listed any longer.

Point is, on one of the major mountain biking forums, it was absolutely flamed because it came from a big box retailer. The 'pro's' claimed you had to spend at least $1000.00 otherwise it was a toy. I got two of these for under $270.00 each delivered to my door.

Wrong. As time went on, more and more posts were made extolling (sp) the virtues of this manufacturer.

Just trying to say that my budget is less than my skill level and my skill level is zilch. From what I saw at Lowes and HD, this can't be any worse than the Ryobi, Skill, B&D, FireStorm, etc.

I know what I'm getting; I think. If it's better, lucky me. If not, ooops.

Lol! I saw the thread title and the first thing that came to mind was amazon screwed up and was selling the Dewalt 3 piece set for 50 bucks like the time they messed up with the Makita miter saw pricing. I was thrilled for a few seconds there I suppose for $50 its not a bad deal for learning although sometimes the money saved is not worth the frustration of a cheaper tool. Not much lost if it turns out to really suck at least. EDIT: I hadn't even noticed this was an old ressurected thread.

Oh, and I know exactly what you mean about mountain bikes and their pricing. I've raced mountain bikes for about 7 years and have bikes costing more than some cars. You'll usually find a lot of elitist idiots at some of those forums but pay no attention to that. For what is considered real mountain biking you don't need a very expensive bike. You will need a real mountain bike with parts that are designed to endure that kind of riding. There is a lot of discouragement against buying bikes from big box stores because most of what they sell are in fact mountain bike imitations. If you read the manuals they will always say they are not actually intended for off road use. They are just that way to look cool. They have very thin profit margins and parts are many times absolute garbage and downright dangerous. They are also poorly assembled by store employees who don't have much of a clue. There have been people and kids seriously injured and even killed as results of brake failures, snaped forks, or parts comming loose. That link you posted doesn't work but whatever you bought just make sure to carefully inspect everything and and everything is properly assembled.
            Last edited by Velosapien; 08-05-2007, 01:39 PM.

Comment

As it happens I was out yesterday with my wife and 12 yo daughter biking what is called the 'rail trail', runs along the rr tracks into Santa Fe. Anyway, my daughter is in the lead and she stops short and yell's "A SNAKE".

There was a prarie rattler in the middle of the trail. I didn't figure out it was a rattler till I poked it with a stick and it coiled and shook its tail!

Got another story about a bull snake and a birds nest we have, but that's another story

Comment

Working...
              X