Amazon $47.49 - 2 1/4 HP Router Kit With 3 Bases

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon $47.49 - 2 1/4 HP Router Kit With 3 Bases

I know, I know, it ain't a Dewalt, or even the new Ridgid I had my eye on. But for a total newbie at under $50.00, I think it's great to learn on.

http://www.amazon.com/GMC-ATBR1500-R...2879233&sr=8-1

BTW - I bought one
    Last edited by Hooligan; 03-02-2007, 05:54 PM.
    You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

Re: Amazon $47.49 - 2 1/4 HP Router Kit With 3 Bases

Let us know how it works.
    GMC is "Global Machinery Company" out of Australia. Who knows, it may be ok.
    From the price, it most likely will compare to Harbor Freight stuff. They sell a large range of things, ck their site.

GMC products.

Home site

Also heard the Lowes sells them too. Not sure on that one.

Amazon has a lot of their tools with super cheap prices and some with free shipping. For the price, might be worth buying a Sh** load of them and taking them to the swap meet! LOL Or on Ebay!!!! LOL

Mark
    Last edited by The Wood Meister; 03-02-2007, 08:20 PM.
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Also heard the Lowes sells them too
      Stoped by my local Lowes. They had everything from their house brand to Skill, etc. thru Dewalt, PC and the rest. But not GMC.

When it arrives I'm going to put it thru an extensive "total newbie torture test". If it really is total junk I'll ship it back to Amazon.

Been to GMC's site but I couldn't find this particular Router's manual.

I usually don't buy tools like this, under $50. for a kit that Dewalt or Bosch sell for well over $200, it's mostly that every book/how-to on everything from a ZCI for my new 3650 to jigs and fences and tables,etc. all say "take your Router and make a...(fill in the blanks).

ehhh, I don't know. If I find a couple hundred bucks under my pillow I'll get a better one.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

Comment

I'm real close to ordering up that kit too, just to give it a real workout and see how it does. I have seven Porter Cable routers and they never die. Would be fun to see a router really take a big hit!! LOL
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

GMC = CRAP

Lowes carried this junk for a short time - I guess they had too many returns because they no longer carry the line.

Comment

Just to say, I needed to buy three mountain bikes as Xmas presents for me, my wife and my 11 year old daughter. Don't know if anyone has checked the prices in the local bike shops today, but I buy cars for what they wan't for bikes these days. Three and 4 thousand dollars is mid level.

I stumbled upon this:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000E3YYJG

Side note - The 2007's are about to ship and the above is what I got for my wife - the 19" that I got for myself isn't listed any longer.

Point is, on one of the major mountain biking forums, it was absolutely flamed because it came from a big box retailer. The 'pro's' claimed you had to spend at least $1000.00 otherwise it was a toy. I got two of these for under $270.00 each delivered to my door.

Wrong. As time went on, more and more posts were made extolling (sp) the virtues of this manufacturer.

Just trying to say that my budget is less than my skill level and my skill level is zilch. From what I saw at Lowes and HD, this can't be any worse than the Ryobi, Skill, B&D, FireStorm, etc.

I know what I'm getting; I think. If it's better, lucky me. If not, ooops.

Comment

The way I understand it one of the biggest enemies of routers like this set, and the those of Skil, B&D, etc., is heat. They don't last long in a production style environments. As long as your usage is limited to fairly short run times you'll probably be happy with this set. Of course, the quality of materials used won't be up to par with the better brand names but for $50 what can you expect right?
              ================================================== ====
              All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

but for $50 what can you expect right?
                $47.49

I had my mouse over the cancel button at Amazon but changed my mind.

I've come to learn that most folks who are serious woodworkers seem to own more than one router. So with the GMC I'll have a story to tell about my first router purchase. Kinda like my first car. A '53 Raymond Lowey 2 door Studabaker that didn't run and I was going to soup up. But that's another story for another forum...

Comment

Hooligan, have you had a chance to abuse your GMC router yet? I bought a GMC biscuit jointer on close out at Lowe's a while back. I can't remember what I paid for it. ~$30 - I guess. It was cheap, that's all I remember. It works well for what I need it for. Has some vibration to it, but I expected that. Anyway just thought I'd check and see what you thought of your new router.
                  No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Comment

Got it a day or so ago. Ordered some bits which haven't arrived yet so haven't had a chance to put the "pedal to the metal".

It did arrive in one piece, no broken parts. The magnesium bases seem more like magnesuim coating over...plaster of paris, so my guess is if I drop it its going to be like dropping a wine glass on concrete.

There's been some reports of the motor not coming up to speed quickly enough, but from my perspective, having never used a router, I'm OK with that. Gives me a second or two to catch my breath. I haven't experienced any problems changing bases. The plunge base adjustments seem to do what they're supposed to.

But truth is, I need a good book on routers...

As long as I don't drop it and they don't go out of business, I feel it's well worth the sub $50.00 I paid for it to get my feet wet. And the $20.00 total I paid for these 1/2 shank bits http://www.holbren.com/product.php?p...&cat=27&page=1

which included free shipping, I just can't find a reason to complain.

//edit

I should mention if anyones interested in these bits, once you add them to your cart, the price will be $20.00

// guess the sold out of the 1/2" shanks..
                    Last edited by Hooligan; 03-13-2007, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Dude, you got a deal for 20 bucks! They look like the Holbren name bits which I've heard decent comments about.
                      How did you find that bit set, I couldn't get to it from their home page. Do you get Holbren's weekly newsletter?

- djb
                      Last edited by djb; 03-13-2007, 09:19 PM.
                      sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by djb View Post
                        Dude, you got a deal for 20 bucks! They look like the Holbren name bits which I've heard decent comments about.

- djb
                        My first gloat!

Comment

Originally posted by djb View Post
                          How did you find that bit set, I couldn't get to it from their home page. Do you get Holbren's weekly newsletter?

- djb
                          They are the holbren bits. Brian posted a thread on another forum clearing the bits out for $20 shipped. There still might be some available. Check his website.

A lot of guys got the GMC router and ended returing them. The main complaints seemed to be that the slow start was too slow, the bit wanders up and down no matter high much you tighten it and the opening on the base is on the small side. I don't know first hand since I didn't order one but but that seems to be the consensus on the router.

Comment

My concern with high speed, handheld tools is safety. Routerbits are of particular concern.

You drop the router, the base breaks, you swear, end of story, no big issue.

However if a routerbit bends and you loose control of the running router, or a poorly brazed carbide tip flies off at 20,000 RPM, that's a different story.

I am truly worried about these wonderful 8 piece ballbearing carbide bit sets in a wooden box for $10.00

I rather pay $20.00 plus for each well known brand, strong, well balanced, carefully made, reliable bits that I know I don't need to worry about.

My views may be influenced by the experience of driving a friend to the hospital with a broken wrist, caused by a cheap 1/2" router bit that bent, snagged the wood and spun the router he was holding. His woodworking days are over due to that accident.
                            Frank sigpic

Comment

"...There's been some reports of the motor not coming up to speed quickly enough,..."

Ever heard of 'Soft Start' ?

$49 for a router w/three bases. I am not alarmed when I pay $49 for some router bits. I would not spend $49 for a router, you can't put quality parts in a tool of this type for $49. They should change their name from GMC to DTC (Disposable Tool Co.)
                              Last edited by Bob D.; 03-18-2007, 08:31 AM.
                              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
                              X