Upgrading my Table Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading my Table Saw

Having spent the last ten years making do with an old benchtop table saw, I've decided to spring for a really good saw. I spent some time considering the options and have decided to go for a cabinet. It seems like the Grizzly 1023 is good bang for the buck, but I've noticed that older Delta and Rockwell Unisaws are available for much less. The issues with buying used, as far as I know include:

1. Power - the need for a rotary phase converter, as they mostly are equipped with 5HP 220v 3-phase motors

2. Condition - the real bargains tend to have one or more missing parts, such as wings, fences, rails.

3. Transportation - sellers of used saws don't offer Grizzly's bargain shipping prices.

Is it worth the trouble to buy an older Unisaw, ship it home, replace any missing parts, and buy a phase converter? I believe it can be done for less than $800, and I'm under the impression that unless you spend a lot more money, you can't do better than an old Unisaw ("they don't make 'em like they used to").

Re: Upgrading my Table Saw

Many older saws have single phase motors too, so don't rule that out. I'd stick to locally available used saws...you've really gotta look at them to know what you're getting because there's no warranty. Parts availability for old Unisaws is very good.

But.... there's alot to be said about opening up a shiny new saw with a full warranty too....

Comment

If you are buying an older TS with a questionable 3P motor, what is the difference in cost between a new, single phase motor and a phase converter? Wouldn't it be easier in the long run to just dump the 3P motor and go with a new motor. I know that motors in the HP category are far from cheap, a few hundred bucks probably but a phase converter and the associated wiring will drain your wallet too. I've never looked into this 'cause I have no need myself so I guess I'm thinking out loud here and wanting to hear what those who have considered can share on the subject.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

For what it's worth there are a good many older (and new ones too) that were/are sold with single phase motors on them. A friend of mine has a Unisaw he got new about 50 years ago and it still serves him well today. Needless to say he gives it TLC and has done some basic repairs on it. That TS came with and still has a huge 1 HP repulsion start - induction run motor that can hold its own to the new 3 HP motors. They were under rated with huge service factors where today motors are over rated. You should also look at older USA made Powermatic TS too. If you know someone that can do basic machine shop work, look at Walker-Turner and Boyce-Crain (spelling) cabinet saws. The advantage of sticking to Delta or Powermatic is that most parts aren't that hard to find for them. I totally agree with Bob that by the time you buy and setup a good 1 to 3 phase converter you'll have more $$$ into it than to swap out motors. Be sure to watch the frame size of the origional motor if you do look to replace it. There are loads of good used 2 or 3 HP single phase motors around. Be sure it starts up well and runs nice. I would not considder any TS that isn't local. You really do need to check it over in person. Shipping such without damage gets tuff and costly.

Look in your yellow pages phone book under "Machinery - Woodworking" and "Woodworking - Machinery" as some dealers take in good used machines on new purchases. A good dealer should be able to run anything they have in used for sale. Good luck and I hope you find a good deal.

Comment

For what its worth, both saws will provide you many years of excellent service. I have a Unisaw, but seriously considered a Griz cabinet saw when I bought the Unisaw. I bought my Unisaw from Amazon.com and got FREE shipping. You might want to check into Amazon. They run free shipping offers all the time. Free shipping on a 500+ pound item cant be beat. Also if you go the older unisaw with 3 phase route... look at Grizzlys replacement motors.

Comment

Table Saw

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's quite a few Used Unisaws here (as well as others):
            http://www.exfactory.com/equipment.a...OVMTC=standard
            (including one for $595.00-needs some work.)
            They pretty much broker equipment from all over the US and Canada.
            Keep an eye out they do have some good deal

Just an aside - Unisaw Parts and a Rebuild "How To". http://www.sawcenter.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I faced the same dilemma a couple of years ago.. I ended up purchasing a used unisaw for $75.00 and ended up putting an additional $500 into it. I now have a well tuned machine which is very reliable and accurate. I am sure you can’t go wrong with either the Grizzly or a used powermatic or delta/Rockwell. Here in Houston there is an outfit which specializes in older powermatics and deltas. Let me know if you need the contact info.

Regards,
              tgomez

Comment

Thanks for all the good info, everyone. I figure that unless there is a really great deal on a 3-phase unit (i.e., someone willing to let a good old saw go for much less than it's really worth), it's not going to be worthwhile to trouble with it. In the meantime, I came across a local Jet JTAS-10-1 that I'm going to look at. A little serial number research confirms that it was made in 1997, but the design is essentially the same as a new one. The price seems reasonable considering it is equipped with a router table insert and an Excalibur blade guard. Any thoughts on that model?

Comment

Working...
                X