X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 inch CMS or 10 inch SCMS

Hi all. I'm in the market for a new miter saw. The dilema I have is whether I purchase a 12 inch dual bevel compound miter saw or a 10 inch sliding compound miter saw. The use will be DIY projects (framing, finish carpentry, some cabinetry and an occasional deck). Which type have you found to be a good general purpose CMS? I'm new to the forum and have been "lurking" for a few weeks. On the forums recommendations I did go out and get the Ridgid MS-UV at HD for $99.00. Just need something to put on it. Thanks.

Re: 12 inch CMS or 10 inch SCMS

There's pros and cons with each. The 10" saw blades are typically less expensive to replace, but that's not something you'll be buying regularly. Compare the capacities and go with the largest.

Comment

If you're going to be cutting boards wider than 8" often, then perhaps you want to get a 10" SCMS. Keep in mind you can cut most crown and baseboards upright with a 12" and you mostly have to cut them on flat with 10" SCMS.

Comment

I spent days researching this very topic as for me this was going to be an expensive purchase. IMHO, a 10" miter saw is too small, unless all you will be cutting is small dimensional lumber. Both the height capacity (how much room under the blade) and width of cut are very important.

It came down to 2 saws for me. The Ridgid MS1290LZ and the DeWalt DW718. The final decision was made by a feature of the DeWalt which, with the attachment of an easy to make jig, allows you to make 90° cuts on a 16" wide board. I have used both saws on a job, and they are both very fine tools.

I think you will find that someday you will wish you had the larger saw.
        “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Thanks for the good advice. Space restrictions and the fact that I do cut wide pieces often led me to the 10" sliding CMS.

Comment

Why not try saving up the extra $$$ and get a good 12" SCMS and have it all?

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              Why not try saving up the extra $$$ and get a good 12" SCMS and have it all?
              A 12" SCMS doesn't buy you much. You're better off with a 10" SCMS - less blade deflection and more accurate cuts than a 12".

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                A 12" SCMS doesn't buy you much. You're better off with a 10" SCMS - less blade deflection and more accurate cuts than a 12".
                ????????????????????????

Comment

I think you could benefit from both saws if the budget allows.

I have a 10 ridgid CMS(non sliding) mounted on a MSUV( which you will be glad you bought) and also have a Dewalt DW718 12 sliding double bevel CMS.

I use my 10 inch a lot more for small jobs such as cabinet making and smaller trim.

But you mentioned deck building and such. For this you will love the 12 inch. Its not as accurate as my 10 inch and yes it is not cheap, but like mentioned earlier, with teh right jig , you can crosscut a 16 in wide board. Not that I cut a lot of 16 inch wide lumber, but its a hoss of a saw.

To sum it up, If I could only buy one mitre saw, it would probalby be a 10 sliding saw and I would buy the best I could afford.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                  X