Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• everybody realy needs to look at this...

this is continued from the Amazon thread below this one...

Ridgid MSUV vs. GMC MMW whitch is better? GMC is always cheeper in price.......

Ridgid
    Picture: http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/0CF1F71...1_Final_3C.jpg
    Specs: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Miter-Sa...icle/index.htm

GMC
    Picture: http://www.gmcompany.com/i/products/WB1500_L.jpg
    Specs: http://www.gmcompany.com.au/index.cf...roducts&pid=19
    Last edited by mcarr184; 03-03-2007, 12:06 PM.
    American by birth. Canadian at heart.

Re: everybody realy needs to look at this...

I am also trying to get a hold of GMC to get there MSRP....

Comment

Wow, can you saw copyright infringement?

Or...maybe this is a division of the company that makes the MS-UV for RIDGID and they are now selling them under their own label. RIDGID might have had an exclusive for x number of years before they were allowed to market their own version.

Could this be related to the recent price drop in the MS-UV? To remain competitive with the GMC version. I wonder.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

GMC is an Australian tool company that Lowe's used to sell but Lowe's dropped the line last year I believe. I've read where their tools have been compared quality wise to Harbor Freight.

I gotta admit though that their miter saw stand is a dead ringer for Ridgid's MSUV.

All the specs. of the GMC unit are listed in mm's which makes me think that it's not available for sale in the USA.
        Last edited by BadgerDave; 03-03-2007, 03:27 PM.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

GMC = Garbage Manufacturing Company

Comment

Obviously an Aussie unit, all the knobs are on the wrong side of the vehicle.
            I am assuming this is a knock off. As with most "knock offs" while it may look the same, you can be that the tubing is thinner walled, the screws are of lower quality, and the tolerances are probably a little looser.
            Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

I was at depot tonight and they had the MSUV for $99. It's made in CHINA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                I was at depot tonight and they had the MSUV for $99. It's made in CHINA!!!
                And why do you find that so shocking? Are you really that surprised or did you have your tongue planted firmly in your cheek? The MSUV is a fine example that the Made In China label doesn't necessarily equate to cheap junk. Quality is all about the manufacturing specifications and not the point of origin of the production.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

well I just got a hold of GMC and was told that their modle is only for retail in Austraila and not available in the states

Comment

to the man that freaked out that the stand was made in china ...............ever use any Hilti brand tools ..........there great and all made in china , just think what that stand would coast if it were made in the states.........????? kinda makes u think
                    R.S. Anderson

Comment

Sorry, I had to join the forum just to reply to this nonsense. Take a look at the ID stickers on most (not all) Hilti tools. There are a few made in China but not a large number. They are, to the best of my knowledge, newer DXE72, SD4500, SD2500, DAG450 and the newer TE2. Some of the cordless is made there, some in Mexico, some in Europe (new 12 volt impact). However, just because they come in a boat on the Pacific instead of the Atlantic, does not make them any better or worse. Production tolerances and quality control can make a good item anywhere.

As to the price drop, the same thing happened last year for 3 to 4 weeks.

Comment

I lost a lot of respect for Dewalt when I found out most of their stuff is made over seas too. Jet is great stuff, but like the rest, made over seas too. So much for American made tools!!
                        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by rsanderson contracting View Post
                          to the man that freaked out that the stand was made in china ...............ever use any Hilti brand tools ..........there great and all made in china , just think what that stand would cost if it were made in the states.........????? kinda makes u think
                          now imagine if the Hilti was manufactured here, what it would cost?
                          How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                            Made In China label doesn't necessarily equate to cheap junk. Quality is all about the manufacturing specifications and not the point of origin of the production.
                            BadgerDave, You are so right. As my screen name implies, I'm a saxophone player by trade and woodworker only as a hobby. The comments here might as well be regarding saxophones, rather than power tools!

We live in a global economy. The best quality product for the best price will win in the marketplace, regardless of origin.

I for one, would love to "buy American" everytime. Each and every purchase I make (power tools) is based upon the quality vs. cost equation. If the product I ultimately purchase is American made, I do feel a little better - but that doesn't happen often these days.

My #1 saxophone is the equivalent of a '69 Shelby Cobra but the Chinese stuff is getting better and better for the entry level market.

Stay well and play well.
                            Skip

Comment

I am going to chime in here but does anybody know if ridgid is an ISO company? ( things that make you go Hmmmmmmm )

and just a general question to you all ( does everybody know what ISO is ? )

Comment

Working...
                              X