Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero Clearance Insert and WWII blade

Hey guys,

Well, this evening I was working on getting the ZCI and the microjig splitter all setup. A couple of observations that I would like some input on:

1. After cutting the slot in the ZCI, I raised the blade (After the saw was stopped and unplugged of course) and rotated the blade. I noticed that it scrapes the side, i.e., it does not rotate freely for long. It does, but it stops sooner than I would think. The ZCI does *not* lift when doing this. When I turn the saw on, it does sound like it is rubbing on the sides of the insert. I read in the ZCI instructions that this is common if I am using a planer blade (I am), or I have runout... or I have a warped blade. I doubt the blade is warped or deflecting. Is this something I need to worry about?

2. I am following the instructions on the microsplitter and I cut the template (using MDF). I stopped at the 3" line. Turned the saw off, raised the blade up and the noticed that the MDF is pinching the blade, i.e., when I pull the template back.. and then push it forward again, it is grabbing the blade.

I aligned the blade to the miter using a combination square (per the instructions). The fence appears to be parallel with the miter slot.. So maybe something is not aligned?

Anyways, looking for some input/pointers.

Thanks!
    Jason
    "A long journey starts with the first step and an understanding spouse."

Re: Zero Clearance Insert and WWII blade

For situation 1, when I make a ZCI, I actually raise the blade up through the material with the saw on. This causes the blade to make it's own path through the ZCI, and is therefor truly a "Zero Clearance" insert.

Situation 2...I don't know at all. I hope that helps some.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Try removing the ZCI and with some rather fine sandpaper take just a tiny bit off of each side of the slot. A thin file can be used too.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
        For situation 1, when I make a ZCI, I actually raise the blade up through the material with the saw on. This causes the blade to make it's own path through the ZCI, and is therefor truly a "Zero Clearance" insert.
        Yep.. that is what I did per the instructions. I used a piece of 3/4 scrap plywood and clamped it on top of the ZCI. With the table saw on, I slowly raised the blade and the lowered it again. Maybe I need to do it a few times.

Someone suggested that I may need a blade stablizer?

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          Try removing the ZCI and with some rather fine sandpaper take just a tiny bit off of each side of the slot. A thin file can be used too.
          Yea, I was doing that some, but boy does it take a little while

Thanks
          Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Undermidnight View Post
            Someone suggested that I may need a blade stablizer?
            Jason
            Jason -

Last month I got the Freud stabilizer as a bonus (i.e. free) with a blade purchase, so I assume it's a decent representative of blade stabilizers that are available. But I can't tell the difference with the stabilizer on or off the blade, and I tried it on a couple different blades. Maybe there is a difference and my amateur woodworking senses are not keen enough to detect it...

So I've been running my saw with the stabilizer installed, just in case it makes it operate better. But I can't recommend paying for a stabilizer. Maybe someone else on the forum might be able to explain how a stabilizer helped them(?)

- djb
            sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

I am with DJB. Although I haven't done any big cutting or projects since I got mine, so far I haven't found it to be worth it to cause the offset issue with my fence when using it to be worth it.
              Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I'm pretty sure that quality blades are "balanced" at operating speeds...not when they're at zero RPM. So the blade may actually be flatter when running than when stationary.

Comment

Working...
                X