X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typical Oak cabinets

I have to make some oak cabinets for a coworker of mine. He wants them to match what he has in his kitchen. His kitchen cabinets are the same kind of oak cabinets that 99.99999999999999% of the western world has in their kitchen. I have never built anything in oak. Are these cabinets made of the typical oak plywood and oak stock that you find at HD? What kind of stain is used? Any info you guys can offer would help.

Re: Typical Oak cabinets

Originally posted by rnt80 View Post
    I have to make some oak cabinets for a coworker of mine. He wants them to match what he has in his kitchen. His kitchen cabinets are the same kind of oak cabinets that 99.99999999999999% of the western world has in their kitchen. I have never built anything in oak. Are these cabinets made of the typical oak plywood and oak stock that you find at HD? What kind of stain is used? Any info you guys can offer would help.
    Are you building something for a custom size? HD has many different lines of cabinets, but I think you are talking about the stock boxes that come in 3" increments. They are unfinished in the store, so what you want to do is take one of his doors or drawer fronts to a GOOD paint store with some sample pieces of Oak, they should be able to mix a match for you (dont use HD for this, find a corner paint shop) You can possibly order doors to match what your coworker has if they are a standard size, find a good design person in the store to help with that, many will give you the confuzzled look, but again bring a door with you.

The cabinets that I think you are talking about have fibre board sides and oak frames. The frames and doors have cross grain scratches from the sander. They are built cheaply and quickly, hence their price

Comment

I'm not sure what kind of cabinets they have at HD anymore. When I used to work there they still carried Mills Pride and you had to buy the door packs separately. The cabinets that I've seen in just about every new house is what he has. They look like a honey stain. I guess I should just I can just get some stock and mess around some. I am making the cabinets from scratch, which is no problem. I've just never done anything in oak and it's the idea of matching this very light stain/finish that I'm worried about.

Comment

I work almost exclusivley in oak. I'm not professional or anything I just like oak. It's a joy to work with, mills easily, takes stain well etc... Your friends cabinets sound just like mine (and the rest of the worlds) Probably red oak, It's cheaper than white. I think it's minwax that has those little sample packets, like ketchup at MacDonalds, of stain. Just grab some of the lighter ones and try them on some of the scraps. Honey is probably a good middle stain, grab a couple lighter and darker than honey and go from there. Also with oak, like most woods, the end grain will stain much darker, if you have end grain showing seal it.

Regards, Daryl

Comment

Althought Oak is not my favorite looking wood, it is pretty nice to work with. I end up doing quite a bit with it just to match the rest of the house... I'm in the middle of making a built-in bookcase and tried a Danish oil finish under marine grade satin varnish. After trying many stains and sealers to get oak to look right, I'm now sold on the oil finish... Try it on a sample and see what you think.

Steve

Comment

Working...
          X