X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Apron?

I'm looking for a shop apron that has about 5 pockets at the waist and a couple of bib pockets. The one I have probably started life as a kitchen apron and the pockets are torn at the corners. My lovely wife refuses to patch it any more, thus has given me permission to look for a real one (apron, not wife). I don't like wearing tool belts, nor do I like having sawdust in my knickers. A bib apron is the perfect solution. I've looked in all the usual suspects - HD Lowes Hf, etc and no luck struck.
    Any suggestions?
    Blind Bill
    Last edited by blind bill; 03-05-2007, 08:10 PM.

Re: Shop Apron?

Bill, google shop aprons and go to the Popular Woodworking site. They did a review of several. Also, the Texas Correctional Institution makes some.
    Graham
    http:www.shortcuts.ns.ca

Comment

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...prons.0603.pdf

This may seem funny at first, but call up a few large printing shops. The people working the presses normally wear them and would know a good source.

Try calling places in your area that sell uniforms. I bet they have some or can order them in from a catalog. Keyword: Bib Apron
      Last edited by Woussko; 03-05-2007, 11:38 PM.

Comment

I have a "custom designed" apron that my wife for me. I'd stack it up against anything you could buy. According to her, they're very easy to make and the cost came in at under $10. The part I like the best about mine is that I don't have to struggle with tie strings behind my back. She used a set of those snap together plastic clasps that you see on some tool belts and fanny paks.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          I have a "custom designed" apron that my wife for me. I'd stack it up against anything you could buy. According to her, they're very easy to make and the cost came in at under $10. The part I like the best about mine is that I don't have to struggle with tie strings behind my back. She used a set of those snap together plastic clasps that you see on some tool belts and fanny paks.

My wife made mine too. A flap on the lower pocket to keep sawdust out. Large enough to fit my oversized girth. Cross straps on the back so it does not hang on my neck. Fits well and is comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by blind bill View Post
            I'm looking for a shop apron that has about 5 pockets at the waist and a couple of bib pockets. The one I have probably started life as a kitchen apron and the pockets are torn at the corners. My lovely wife refuses to patch it any more, thus has given me permission to look for a real one (apron, not wife). I don't like wearing tool belts, nor do I like having sawdust in my knickers. A bib apron is the perfect solution. I've looked in all the usual suspects - HD Lowes Hf, etc and no luck struck.
            Any suggestions?
            Blind Bill
            Bucket Boss makes an apron out of the same material they make their bucket boss liners. It has a fairly wide strap that goes around your neck but in the middle of the neck strap there is another adjustable strap that runs down your back to the waist strap. This takes all the weight off your neck.

I like it better than those criss cross strapes that I always get tangled in. It is easy to put on, you hang it around your neck, then if you have the strap in back adjusted correctly as you buckle the waist you can feel the weight shifting off your neck and spread over your upper body.
            I got mine as Sears but I have seen them in Woodcraft stores and most wood working catalogues. Around $14-18

My only complaint is it is a little warm to wear here in Florida. But I love mine and I can't begin to count the t-shirts it has saved from glue. Plenty of pockets I think 14 in all with a hammer loop. I keep a pocket block plane, various pencils, nail set, tape measure, utility knife, 6 inch rule and small try square in mine all the time and have plenty of pockets for nails, screws and extra parts.
            Rev Ed

Comment

I discovered Texas Corrections Institute sells only to public entites so no luck there. I then tried Amazon and hit exactly what I want (I think). Cost me less than $20 for a 14 pocket jobber with clips on the waist straps. I think I'll try to con my lovely wife into sewing on flaps over the waist pockets to keep out the sawdust. Hopefully I can soon retire my kitchen apron.
              Blind Bill

Comment

Try Rockler. I got mine there.

Comment

Using one bought at the home depot forget the name, brand colors are red and black. Its a pretty tough one honestly I do not like the weight but it is definatly bearable, I just have an extreme aversion to things placed near my neck (front or back) . All in all it is as very nice just my own phobea kicking in. Only problem it does not have flaps on it but I have been looking at an old set of DCU's and thinking I might add a few flaps here and there.

Comment

How about a work vest.

http://www.skillersqc.ca/skiller_anglais_hr.pdf

Much more comfortable then an apron tools are supported by you whole upper body & not your neck.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Now thats a Idea I would like to try out.

Is the vest something you had made or can you purchase them??

Regards,

Comment

I picked mine up from "Duluth Trading Company".

Comment

Woodcraft has the tool vests, too...or at least a version of them for around $40.
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                          X