Plans Vs. No Plans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plans Vs. No Plans

I use plans only as a referance to assembly practices that others have done. Then I make my own, starting with a sketch and then develope a scaled layout in Corel Draw to ensure that everything will fit properly. Adjustments do happen along the way!

CWS

Comment

I started to use a set of plans one time. Then threw them away and built it. I just create a cut list that tells me what each part is. I did measure the length of a porch swing one time. LOL
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Hey rprice nice job. Did you put a mirror in the top inside? I've tried using the same program but haven't played with it enough to get comfortable drawing.
        If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

re:mirror- I was going to, you can see it in the computer model. but at the end of the day the lid had some of the best grain out of the whole piece and I couldn't bring myself to cover it up.

You always make adjustments to any project, but I have noticed with the sketchup layouts being exact, and my table saw more accurate, I am making less adjustments.

The nice thing about building it on the computer first is that I can think through the assembly as well- how will it fit together, what order should I build it in, what joints to use, etc. kind of a virtual dry fit.

Comment

Originally posted by rprice54 View Post
            I've started using google sketchup for all my plans. It's easy to create a scale, 3D model that you can rotate and zoom, etc.

It helps me plan out my joinery. Once you get the hang of it you can plan out dados, rabbets, miters, etc and get exact lengths of what you need.

plus it combines my two hobbies, computers and woodworking.

the hard part is machining up the wood to match the computer.

I've attached some examples of my latest project, a jewelry box for my mom
            rprice54,
            Gorgeous. Just beautiful work. Thanks for sharing the sketchup diagrams as well.
            Skip
            Stay well and play well.
            Skip

Comment

sorry to say but i use plans and tweak a little bit to fit my needs. i been in construction for 20years and still stumble with math so plans really help me. I need the boost from a pic to get me going to make something. i am not a person who pulls rabbits out of a hat . I have to see the rabbit in the hat first.

Comment

Working...
              X