X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans Vs. No Plans

Do you use plans for your projects? I often work off pictures and come up with my own measurements and design (mistakes and all of course).

I'm just curious what the percentages are out there of who likes following woodworking plans closely, loosely or not at all.

Give your 2¢. I think everyone will be interested.

Skip
    Stay well and play well.
    Skip

Re: Plans Vs. No Plans

Depends on the project. I've built boxes with plans from a magazine and cabinets without plans. I have lots of plans that I bought and haven't used too.
    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I used to rely on purchased plans, but have found myself questioning the design or construction methods at almost every turn. I usually find a piece in a store or in a home and make drawings based on that template, updating or altering the construction methods (joinery, etc.) based on what tools I have on hand as well as confidence in my ability to complete it properly. In ANY case I always make drawings with measurements for anything I make even if it's after the project is complete.

Pictured is an example of the plans I am using for my current project....I have 9 pages of such for the entire project and they work out nicely.....just remember make all your drawings in pencil!
      Attached Files
      “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

I use plans for ideas mostly. Not sure I've ever met one that I haven't changed at least a little. For simple projects, I just wing it. More complex stuff, I make sketches to keep me from forgetting what I want the thing to look like when I'm done...

Steve

Originally posted by skipsax View Post
        Do you use plans for your projects? I often work off pictures and come up with my own measurements and design (mistakes and all of course).

I'm just curious what the percentages are out there of who likes following woodworking plans closely, loosely or not at all.

Give your 2¢. I think everyone will be interested.

Skip

Comment

I'm inda like zenophus but mine aren't as neat. I get the rough design down and input more to the drawing as I see an upcoming need, such as a dado I had missed. I also clamp things together as I build so that I can look over the 3-D presence of the piece for any shortcoming of form or function. The wife doesn't understand all of the assembly/ disassembly/ reassembly over multiple times. She sews and doesn't have to do that so why should I, she feels.
          Later,
          Chiz

Comment

I draw out sketches, and views in perspective view, and some times put over all dimensions on the sketch's, I don't think, I have ever used a predrawn set of plans in its completeness.

most of the homes I have built were usly a rough drawing (many times by the home owner, on the back of a large calendar or butcher paper), with just some basic dimensions, and then they would list the features they wanted, by saying something like, I want the front to look like Joe's on 5th street, and the siding like Pete's on Elm, and shingles like Martha's place has,
            living in a small community has advantages,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

90% of the time I dont use plans because I like spontanious design, and as far as mistakes from not using plans well as my dad told me ( Measure twice, cut once)
              American by birth. Canadian at heart.

Comment

Sometimes I wing it, but for more complex things I usually do my own plans. I've bought plans once and didn't follow them very much. I usually deviate so far from any plans that I like to joke that the primary purpose of having plans is to show people what I'm making.

Comment

Most of the time I will use a plan as a base and then ajust the plan to what I want. The plans usually are not the size that I want so I use the computer and re-draw the plans to the exact size of the project I need or want. Bob

Comment

I use plans. Usually from Wood or Shopnotes or the net. I do however tweak them cause like Bob said, it's not the size I need or would like to have.
                    When I set out to do a custom piece, I draw, draw, and draw some more usually changing the sketch and dimensions. Then I draw it again almost till it becomes memorized. I find the more I draw it out and dimension it, I'm bound to find a miscalculation. Then when I build the project I can just flow cause it's almost commited to memory. Occasionally checking my drawings. I have notebook upon notebook of sketches. Things I've built and things I've just dreamed up.
                    Dan

DAN

Comment

I used to use plans when i was building houses for 20 yrs but anything else i wing it.
                      Now when i build something like birdhouses i take lots of pictures then i send them to my son and he draws them up into plans to sell.
                      John from Belgrave ont.

www.extremebirdhouse.com

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...d=112698715866

Comment

I've started using google sketchup for all my plans. It's easy to create a scale, 3D model that you can rotate and zoom, etc.

It helps me plan out my joinery. Once you get the hang of it you can plan out dados, rabbets, miters, etc and get exact lengths of what you need.

plus it combines my two hobbies, computers and woodworking.

the hard part is machining up the wood to match the computer.

I've attached some examples of my latest project, a jewelry box for my mom
                        Attached Files

Comment

Complex projects, I use plans
                          Simple projects, draw my own or just wing it
                          Building houses or additions, Plans or Drawing, which is a must in order to get the building permit.
                          Sometimes when I'm in a store and I have a tape measure w/me, I'll measure the basic size and go from there, couple of times I had to go back and take a pic. mainly for the type of trim they used or their joinery. Almost all plans get changed at least a little, so we can say we designed it too, LOL...
                          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I've been doing things in 3d computer modeling...google's sketchup. It works really nice is extremely quick and thats usually enough for me. Just get it to look nice then jump in head first. I'm working on some birdhouses, a bed, and end tables I'll post them when I get the model done.

Comment

I usually sketch out my own plans, then deviate from them so much that they become useless other than to show someone what I'm making...

Comment

Working...
                              X