X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 CI top with extensions not flat

I just finished assembling the saw last night. No problems until I tested the table top with a strait edge. Laying a 50" stait edge I use for panel sawing accross the top and the extensions I have an 1/8th inch gap at the saw blade. I can't understand how this could happen if the cast iron top and extensions are machined flat and the edges are 90 degrees to the top. I called Ridged today and the tech rep said he's never had that complaint and the only thing I could do other than adding shims between the extensions and the saw was return the saw to HD. Bummer! Has anyone else had this problem?

TIA,
    David

Re: TS3650 CI top with extensions not flat

The first thing I'd do is check each side individually for flatness. Did you use any shims at all when you assembled the two wings? If you did, it might just be a matter of removing a shim or two. With the blade area being lower than the rest of the saws top, it sure sounds like both wings are tilted upwards at their ends. Of course there is also the possibility the saws top or wings weren't machined properly and are bowed.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I didn't see shims for the extension wings and there shouldn't be any. There were metal shims for the fence rails which might work stratigically place at the top edge of the wings. I honestly can't believe this has happened. I can't decide whether to try to rig it or return it and buy the comperable Delta. Another possibility would be return the wings to the store and get them to swap them from another saw. The salesman I bought it from said he'd done that before for a customer for a cracked wing. I bought the only saw they had but it would be worth the wait to not have a rigged saw.

David

Comment

I may be stating things that you have already tried but are you sure that your 50" straight edge is straight?

Before returning the saw:

a) try another known good straight edge

b) try a smaller straight edge, resting only on the table and not the extensions.

This may help to localize the problem to the table, the extension wings or the measurement tool.

Comment

It's definately the left wing or the saw top edge itself. I didin't check it with a square so I don't know which it is and I'm not sure I would be able to tell anyway it's off such a small degree. But, even a small amount caused a 1/8th inch gap across the entire table. And no, it's not my strait edge. The right wing is perfect with the top. I removed the left wing last night and cleaned both surfaces. Reinstalled and it was still not flat. I used the shim washers that were for the rails and bent them so a small part of the washer would hang down in the gap while I tightened the screws. Cut off the washer flush with the top and now it's acceptable on the front edge. The back is now a little low. I think I'm going to remove the washers and put a 1/4 inch strip of masking tape in the gap and reattach the wing. That should make it right. I'm just glad it wasn't the right side wing extension. Would have been a bit more of a pain. I'm just disappointed it wasn't caught during QC at the factory....if there is a QC :-(

David

Comment

Did you make sure that the unit was on a flat and level surface? I had to find the sweet spot in my garage floor and make sure the whole saw was level both side to side and front to back. The weight of the saw is enough to wrack the top should it torque to try to adapt to an out of flat floor.
            Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

My blade insert was bowed about 1/8" and Ridgid sent me another one. I did have to adjust the 4 screws to get the new insert up to the proper level.

Comment

Working...
              X