X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting wood

I have painted many projects over the last while, and i find projects which get a lot of "traffic" (like a shelf on a book case where the books are always moving on and off as people read them) get scuffed up pretty easily.

What can i do to avoid this? Can I put a coat of polyurethane or some other sealant on over the paint? Do i mix it with the paint before the final coat?

Re: painting wood

the old way to solve this problem is with an oil based paint like marine enamel. the new way is to prime and paint with high gloss latex or a latex made for hospitals and nursing homes . try b&m or sherwin williams .
    when painting with latex and then applying a "clear coat " will not be tough enough to solve your problem

Comment

I have built two bookcases, (one is used for the better half's pottery collection) and a drawered end table--all painted. (our house is all paneling and she wanted some color) I used semi-gloss latex and covered with two coats of waterbased poly-- they have stood up extremely well. No scuffs or scatches etc. HTH
      Jim

Comment

pipestone

was your poly semi-gloss?

Comment

Pug: Yes, it was semi-gloss.

Comment

Working...
          X