X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miter saw adjustment? when on 45 tilt

I have adjusted the fence so the the blade rests square when it is a 0 degrees, but when I tilt it over to 45 it doesnt cut cut a straight bevel???

Re: miter saw adjustment? when on 45 tilt

I'm not sure I get exactly what you mean. What are you cutting? I'm guessing you mean the cut is not square if it is beveled? The more info you give the better, these guys have helped me answer just about every question I've come up with here.
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Please do try to tell us all you can.

I would suggest that if you don't have one, please obtain a basic combination square so you can check and set 45 and 90 degree angles. Please click the thumbnail picture. You should be able to obtain a good enough one at a home center or good hardware store. For woodworking you don't need to invest in a Starrett high precission model. The ones by Empire or Stanley (and others) will serve you well. You'll end up using this for layout and to check cuts, so it's a nice item for your shop.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Woussko; 03-09-2007, 11:34 AM.

Comment

I'm thinking that mccrorycj is saying that when he leans the saw over to make a 45° bevel angle cut that one end of the board ends up a little longer than the other end.

I have this same problem with my Craftsman CMS(Made by OWT/Ryobi). In my case, I was able to track the problem down to the saws table. The table has a tendency to flex if the handle isn't pulled down at the same angle as the cut is set up for. I was able to duplicate this same problem with the Ryobi and Ridgid(Made by OWT/Ryobi) CMS's on display at HD. Now that I know that was the problem I'm careful not to put too much downward pressure on the handle when making a bevel cut. Before I found out what was causing the problems I was getting bevel cuts that were off by as much as 3° from the front of a 3½" wide board to the back of it.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

more info on alignment problem

the following is correct: "when he leans the saw over to make a 45° bevel angle cut that one end of the board ends up a little longer than the other end." Im cutting 5" base board on a 45 bevel it ends up skewed out about an 1/8.

Comment

I just talked to Brian at ridgid tech support. He replicated the issue on a demo saw he had on site. This is a very disappointing!

Comment

I believe this is a rather common problem with Ryobi and Ridgid brand CMS's manufacturered by OWT/TTI. If I am recalling correctly this problem has been alluded to several times in the last several months on both the Ryobi and Ridgid forums. I'm really surprised that Techinical support is surprised by it.

I have the Ridgid 10-inch CMS. It cuts left and right swing angles (always 90 degrees from the table) with great accuracy, but as mentioned in the starting post, when cutting a 45 degree bevel, (45 degrees, measured from the left side of the table surface (like this: \ ), the forward edge of the board will be longer than the back edge of the board.

As an observation, without turning the saw on or cutting any wood, one can rotate the saw to the left until the bevel indicator reads 45 degrees. Then simply move the saw downward as if making a cut. You will observe that the blade does NOT squarely pass into the clearance plate slot. It may even catch on the forward right edge of the slot, as it does on my particular saw. To me, it looks like either a machining or casting problem and I can't see how it can be adjusted without throwing something else out of line.

CWS

Comment

That sucks

Maybe it's a loose pivot point bearing or something like that?

Can you feel any lateral movement when the saw is locked at 45° or 90°?

In the meantime a possible workaround might be to swing the table a degree or two right or left of the 90° table indent when doing 45° bevels.

Good luck.
                Cheers! - Jim
                -------------
                All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

May I ask what modle Ridgid table saw we are talking about since nobody has said what model this discussion is about?
                  American by birth. Canadian at heart.

Comment

I do believe this is about miter saw
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Yup, the title of the thread says it all.

Comment

sorry my bad, on the table saw miter saw confusion. Just a little out of it but on the same note what model of Miter saw is it ? For some reason I have this feeling that ridgid does not just make one modle of miter saw ?

Comment

mcarr184, Ridgid has three styles of miter saws. To check them out go to the top of this page and click on Products, when the page comes up click on Power Tools. When that page comes up just click on Bench and Stationary which takes you to a page where you can click on Miter Saws.

Comment

Originally posted by mccrorycj View Post
                            I have adjusted the fence so the the blade rests square when it is a 0 degrees, but when I tilt it over to 45 it doesnt cut cut a straight bevel???
                            Originally posted by mcarr184 View Post
                            sorry my bad, on the table saw miter saw confusion. Just a little out of it but on the same note what model of Miter saw is it ? For some reason I have this feeling that ridgid does not just make one modle of miter saw ?

I know that Ridgid makes more than one model of miter saw. But as you can see ( Badgerdave ) from the title of this thread and his discreption of the problem, he does not state whitch model he is having this problem with. Which would be helpful to know the model since I am going to be replaceing my delta Miter saw with a ridgid one and would like to know which model to be weary of. if there is an inherant problem with it.

Comment

I have the problem with the MS1065LZ 10 Inch. I'm not sure if the 12 inch has the same problems.

DWC

Comment

Working...
                              X