X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Plan Here

This is a really good plan, even though I have not built this yet, maybe some of you have seen this plan, but I'm sure there are others who will love this. I do not have room in my shop right now, but when I do make the room, I am building this one. I'm really impressed with it, but like all plans I'm sure I'll change or add something. If someone has built this, how about sharing your experience about it... Enjoy...

http://www.suiteronline.com/downloads/UTS.pdf
    Attached Files
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Great Plan Here

Wow!!! That is really nifty. Thanks for sharing that, Garager. Just the kind of thing I need. I've been considering building a tortion box, but that is just the bee's knees!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

That looks very useful for a small garage shop like my own. Unfortunately I just built two large pieces for essentially the same kind of function. Mine are not nearly as inventive but they are done and in use.

One thing comes to mind though. It looks like there would be space saved by the multifuntionality (is that even a word?) of the piece. On the flip side, changing over for each operation seems like it would be time consuming vs. the space saved in having separate stations.
      Stay well and play well.
      Skip

Comment

I read the first dozen pages or so. I noticed when building the torsion box they say to build the carcass first and use it as a work surface for getting the torsion flat, but I didn't see any place where they give you instruction on leveling the carcass to create that flat, level surface to work on.

If your floor is not flat, and how many garage floors will be, you should take a good level and using one corner of the carcass as a control point shim the remaining corners until the top surface is level and flat. Then fill in along the bottom edges as necessary to provide additional support to ensure it does not rack when you put the torsion box and all those concrete blocks on top that they use to weigh down the top.

If your floor is not flat and level and you build your torsion box on it then when you glue the second skin on whatever twist or distortion is present will be locked in by the second skin. Up to that point with only the first skin and the internal framing there is enough flex to allow the assembly to twist which you don't want when you are all done.

I think the levelers could have used a little more thought, there are plenty of decent leveling legs available from Rockler and elsewhere.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 03-10-2007, 08:38 AM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
        X