X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circular saw recommendations

Any recommendations for a circular saw? I got rid of an old Craftsman and I'm looking for one that I can use primarily to cut down sheet goods and take to a job site with me. I was looking at the Ridgid 6 1/2" because of it's size and good reviews. Any suggestions or comments would be welcome.

Re: Circular saw recommendations

Looks like your interested in battery power,is this true?

Comment

I'm not necessarily looking for battery power. It will primarily be used for finishing work. Cordless would be nice when I take it out but that's not high on my priority list.

Comment

The people on this forum just frequently went over alot of info that might help you get the answer you may be looking for.Just use SEARCH (circular saws).

I use Skil mag77 in the field,Sometimes take my Dewalt 18v to home depot if I think I need it.

Comment

I've yet to find anything on my Milwaukee 6390-21 that I don't like.
          Milwaukee 6390-21
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dewalts has been great for me, own 3 of them, and everyone of them has been dropped off roofs more then once and never broke. My oldest one got backed up on by a truck, all I heard was a "crunch" and went "Oh No". took it to the local True Value and the guy put on a new housing and charged me $35.00 for the whole thing, been running ever since. The switch finally went last fall so I do have to replace that and thats not bad considering the saw is 12 years old I believe. The only time the motor bogs down is when I'm cutting 45's on green treat posts, bye the way I'm talking corded saws, own 2 battery saws and I don't use them that much, like my saws w/lots of power behind it... Good luck on choosing.
            One more thing, for all these years I've owned my Dewalts my employee's have that tendency to carry the saws by the cords, and not one saw is coming apart, and I still can't get them to stop carrying the saws that way....
            Last edited by garager; 03-10-2007, 05:42 PM.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I don't recommend a batter powered saw as your primary. They are nice for punch work and an occasional cut but they can not come close to replacing a corded saw. As a secondary they are great to have around.

Then the question is worm drive vs direct drive. In your area of the country you might get laughed off a jobsite for using direct drive. In my area the opposite is often true. There are pro's and cons to each. Read up on the differences and make your own decision.

I use a Makita direct drive. I've been very happy with it. It takes abuse well.

The Dewalts rate very highly as well. The one most commonly sold has a electric brake which raises the price a little. I could care less if the blade spins down or not so didn't pay the extra for that feature.

Like most of Ridgid's tools their saw is heavy too. It is a good saw overall, but as the Dewalts and Makitas survive falls from roofs just as well I'm not sure why it needs beefier construction.

Comment

i like heavy saws it is what i learned with. they don't tend to jump around as much as the lighter saws. so i would have to say go to home depot or Lowe's or where ever and go to the tool section and spend some time holding, looking at, and seeing what you like and don't like about each saw. i also would consider the new hilti saws if you are going to make your living with the saw. you need to expect to spend around $100-$170 on a good saw.
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I have the same as BadgerDave and like it very much. One thing, just a little thing that bothered me was the ElCheepo blade screw wrench that came with it. The answer was to get a nice T handle hex key wrench and also an offset 9/16 box wrench. Now I'm happy with it. The adjustable handle is very nice to have.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I currently use a Makita that has been a tough saw and served me pretty well. The only drawback I find with it is that depending on the depth of cut (mostly in 2x material) I sometimes rub the middle knuckle of my fist

I have used the Milwaukee saw that Badger Dave and Woussko refer too and I liked it very much - powerful, light and great "Tilt-Lok" handle that lets you set it anywhere that feels right for you. Also comes with a nice case

Old Slow Chevy gives great advice and you should play with a few different brands and styles and choose what feels right to you.

One of these days I'm going to grab a Milwaukee for sheet goods and I'll either grab a Bosch or Rigid worm drive saw for planks and timbers (probably the Ridgid because it's a bit cheaper)

Good Luck.
                    Cheers! - Jim
                    -------------
                    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Bosch worm drive
                      anything else is a waste of time...

Comment

"The only drawback I find with it is that depending on the depth of cut (mostly in 2x material) I sometimes rub the middle knuckle of my fist"

Amen to that. I borrowed one of these at a job cutting 1/2" ply for headers and I still have the darn blister scars on my knuckle! I currently own 2 circular saws.....one a big heavy DeWalt and the other a Porter Cable 325MAG. The PC is an excellent workshop saw for several reasons:

1. The thick base plate acts like a little "fence" (one of the only saws I have seen with it) that makes following a straight-cut guide a breeze....no drift.

2. It's light but quite powerful.

3. It's a pretty color.

4. The quick-change blade system rocks.

Z

OH Yeah......almost forgot. Until someone comes out with a cordless that can make it through a 96" plywood rip without pooping out I would STAY AWAY from cordless.
                        Last edited by zenophus; 03-11-2007, 08:49 AM.
                        “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                          Bosch worm drive
                          anything else is a waste of time...
                          How did I know Newman would say that...?

- djb
                          sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

bosch = broken or scrap cracked heap

humm i just wonder what kind of war i just started lol
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

i did research for few months. I really like the PC magnesium. It is light and beefy at same time.I asked some contractors one day in the morning getting suplies and they recomended the PC also. After i played with it in store along with others, I am gonna get the PC circ saw and my ridgid planer and hopefully ridgid router all at the same time.Good luck on your choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X