X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10" SCMS slide accuracy

I recently purchased a 10" SCMS. When checking the blade alignment I noticed something that might be disturbing. When the slide is all the way back (blade closest to the fence) the blade is exactly 90 degrees (perpendicular to the base). When I pull the slide all the way out (blade farthest from the fence), the blade angle increses to 90.3 degrees. When I push it back to the original position it is again 90 degrees. The blade angle decreases somewhat uniformly as I slide the carriage back. Is this acceptable, or is the slide mechanism totally out of whack. I haven't checked the various miter and bevel positions. So I don't know how bad it is at 45 degrees bevel or 45 degrees miter or both. Thanks for any comments or suggestions. g.
    Edit: This is no longer an issue. I returned the saw.
    Last edited by geo_d; 03-12-2007, 04:34 AM. Reason: No longer relavent

Re: 10" SCMS slide accuracy

Just an update and a little gloat. I just received a Bosch 4410L SCMS from Amazon for $495 plus 4.99 shipping. Arrived in 2 days. Having compared all of the features of the Makita, Hitachi and Bosch, I picked the Bosch because of the up-front controls, the detent override and because I'm a gadget guy. The saw is going to be used in the garage/driveway shop and will rarely be transported to a job site. Sitting on a MS-UV it takes up very little space (sits next to the TS2400) when stored. This keeps the boss (who believes that the garage is for every one elses stuff except mine) happy, even though she comes up with various antique furniture refurbs all the time. I'm going to set it up today and make some sawdust. g.

Comment

I have the Bosch 4410 which is the same saw without the laser. I also have the Makita LS1013L. The Bosch is a little bulkier I think which makes it better suited to shop use. I love the upfront controls and the tall fence (the Makita's fence, if you can call it that, is a joke). Overall the Bosch is a great miter saw - very solid indeed. The detents are a lot tigher than the Makita. One thing I really like about the Makita is how quiet it is - probably the quietest miter saw I've heard. I'm not too wild about the way the motor is tilted on the Makita rather than top mounted like most SCMS's, since it gets in the way at times. As far as the lasers go, they are not that useful to me. My Makita has a laser, but it's not that visible in daylight, although, I must say that it's much better than the arbor mounted lasers. The adjustable grip on the Bosch is a great useful feature too. I keep the Makita in the van because to me it's a little bit more portable than the Bosch...

Comment

BTW - which brand of miter saw did you first buy and return?

Comment

Newman, Iwas trying to save some money, so I got a Craftsman 10" SCMS made by Rexon. Lowe's also sells them for $30 less than Sears as I found out. I just felt uncomfortable with the Sears saw and didn't want to live with what I thought was a mistake. After reading the reviews, I decided the Bosch was the way to go. Considering the price difference between the Makita, Hitachi (locally) and the Bosch was about $15, I opted for the Bosch. It turned out much cheaper as I only paid $4.99 shipping and no NJ sales tax (7%). I think it was a great deal. I think I'm going to enjoy using it. g.

Comment

Yeah you made the right choice for sure.

The Crapsman is junk.

Comment

Working...
            X